Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2014 07:00

ECC Newbie

Hi All,

As I had mentioned in other posts, I am kind of taking a crash course on ECC. As it stands now, I do have a complete ECC installation starting from base code UB5 and upgrade to UB14 for one of my client data centers which was a great hands on learning experience.

While I am cutting my teeth with ECC, I was just recently tasked with pulling the "Logs" I am imagining with the log utility setup on their Server\Repository boxes.  Can someone properly walk me through the steps in doing so? Or point me to a youtube clip that I can learn how to pull the logs myself? I don't want to trouble anyone on here for menial information on how to do something so please forgive me if it sounds that way.

As it stands now, I am looking at and have open the " Log collection wizard". Can someone in not so many words without getting into the weeds so to speak on how to collect the logs my customer is looking for?

Thank you all kindly, you are all been such a great help with me in the past!

-Nick Derasmo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 07:00

Hi Nick,

ControlCenter logs are many and various, but for the most part, can be collected manually, once you are familiar with the agent acronyms used in the product, it's normally faster than using the LCUW too.

Agent logs would be saved under the ECC Installation directory on the host in question, in the specific agent sub directory,.

So for example, on a Windows Host, if you were looking for the Master agent logs, you would need to go to the following location:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\exec\MGA610\MGA.log

Where %ECC_INSTALL_ROOT% is typically the drive where ECC is installed, followed by the directory ECC,so in our example lets say D:\ECC. exec is the folder where the agent executable files are installed and MGA610 is the agent acronym for the Master agent (on all platforms).

So we would find our agent logs under:
D:\ecc\exec\MGA610

with the File name MGA610.log. Previous logs will be zipped and typically 7 files are kept, these wrap around each time a new log is created.

Similarly, the Windows host agent log has the agent acronym MNR610, and the log location would be:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\exec\MNR610\MNR.log

Other common agent acronyms are:

EGS610 - Storage Agent for Symmetrix

EGF610 - Symm Device Mapping Agent

ENG610 - Fibre Channel Connectivity Agent

MGL610 - Storage Agent for Clariion (Also manages VNX Block)

CNN610 - Storage Agent for NAS (Also VNX File)

EGV610 - VMWare Agent

The ControlCenter Server service logs can be found on the Repository host in the following location:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\ecc_inf\data\ecc_inf_hostname\data\server.trc

ControlCenter Store service logs can be found under the same location, on each host where a Store is installed:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\ecc_inf\data\ecc_inf_hostname\data\store.trc

The most important Repository logs can be found on the repository host under the following locations:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Repository\admin\Ramb_scripts\

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Repository\admin\rambdb\bdump\alert_rambdb.log

But in ECC 6.1 UB14 only, that location changed to:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Repository\diag\rdbms\rambdb\rambdb\trace\alert_rambdb.log

While for StorageScope Server issues, the following logs are useful:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\exec\SGS610\SGS.log

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\exec\SGS610\SGS_Err.log

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\STS6*\SrmConsole\log\*

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\STS6*\SrmConsole\reports\Oracle\*

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Tomcat\webapps\srm\conf\*

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Tomcat\webapps\srm\logs\*

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Tomcat\webapps\srm\data\*

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\exec\SGS610\SGS.log

and StorageScope Repository logs can be obtained from:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Repository\admin\emcstsdb_scripts\

and %ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Repository\admin\emcstsdb\bdump\alert_emcstsdb.log

But in ECC 6.1 UB14 only, that location changed to:

%ECC_INSTALL_ROOT%\Repository\diag\rdbms\emcstsdb\emcstsdb\trace\alert_emcstsdb.log

If you are using the Log Collection Wizard, when you open it, start by selecting "Create a New instructions file" and select next.

For the Category, you'll need to know what your issue is, but for example, lets take Object Discovery and Monitoring, a common issue. Select Next and then identify the object you are having trouble discovering. Lets keep it simple in this example and select Windows - host. Select Next.

Select Next again.

The utility will then check which hosts in the environment have agents which match the criteria, in this instance we'll get any host that has a windows host agent installed.

Select the checkbox for the host you are having issues discovering, then select next.

The LCUW will carry out some validation. You may get a message about a subset of log types not being available, click ok and ignore that.

Select next.

On the OS Commands screen, no need to select any, just select next.

Don't collect a repository dump for either repository at this time. Click next again.

No additional files to add, click next.

Then run the job. The log collection will run and a zip file will be generated with the Windows host agent logs zipped up in it.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Tomas Sheehan

ASD SRM Support

No Events found!