Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2011 14:00

sql view to .rpt format

Hello Folks,

I'm working on creating some crystal reports from sql view(from sts query builder ) using crystal report designer could someone in this forum explain what exactly the procedure should i follow to get the .rpt files. Do i have to connect to the sts database( or ecc db ? ) at any point in the process of generating .rpt files.

Merry X-Mas to one and all.

Thanks

Praveen

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 03:00

Hi Praveen,

Please find attached a script that I wrote for a demostration of how to use StorageScope queries, and how to put a query made with the query builder into a Crystal .rpt report.

The document includes a list of requirements for tooling, etc.

I think that you have to have a connection to an emcstsdb database from Crystal. It does not have to be the target database. It could be a test database for example.

Beware, I wrote the docum,ent in 2009, so some details have changed but, it should be enough to get you started.

Have fun in a great New Year,

Andy

1 Attachment

102 Posts

January 4th, 2012 16:00

Hello Andy,

Thanks for sharing the demo pdf, it's really useful. I followed the steps mentioned in the pdf and i was able to create some customized reports using CR.

I would like to bringup one issue here which is not explained in the pdf...

When i am trying to run the custom report, STS is not showing any global filters. Is there anything that i have to change in the report...?

Thanks

Praveen 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 10th, 2012 08:00

Hi Praveen,

In StorageScope (as far as I can figure out) the filters are handled using Stored Procedures, SP, that are coded in the database itself. These procedures are specific to the in-built reports.

If you wanted to do something similar yourself you would need to be able to add SPs to the Oracle database, and you would need suitable write access to do that. The STS Oracle database is an OEM version and not accessible to users (e.g. you and me!) for customisation. We cannot add or modify SPs in the database so an alternative/workaround is required.

If you have specific filters that you always use, e.g. array type is always Symmetrix, or Clariion, then you could make a specific report in Crystal for "Symmetrix" or for "Clariion" by:

• modifying the SQL query WHERE clause (e.g. WHERE srmarray.arraytype = 'Symmetrix'),
  • filtering in Crystal using Crystal filtering
  • adding a Crystal Basic function to do the filtering in the report itself. The Crystal "function" possibilities are very powerful, I usually use the VB like version of the Basic. 

Does that answer your question fully?

Regards,

Andy

No Events found!