Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2011 01:00

New to Storage!!

Hi,

I m karthik here, I m new to storage field.can any help me out to knw what actually i have to knw about storage before getting into EMC devices.

-Karthik

2.1K Posts

February 25th, 2011 13:00

Hello Karthik, and welcome to the "Wonderful World of Storage" :-)

It might be easier if you could start off with a bit more information on what you are going to be doing (or want to be doing). Are you working for a company now as a Storage Admin? Are you doing something else in IT and want to start getting into Storage? Have you worked with other vendor's Storage products?

Also, Storage is a very broad topic. Do you have a specific need starting out for a specific product line (e.g. CLARiiON, Symmetrix, Connectrix, Networker, etc) or are you looking more for knowledge on a specific technology area (e.g. Backup & Recovery, Archiving, SAN, Storage Arrays, etc)?

Of course, without knowing any of that information I can still direct you to the best starting point anyway: The EMC Proven Professional Starter Kit.

I won't go into a lot of detail here because there is lots of info available in other threads and on the EMC education website. However I will say that if you want to build a great foundation for the rest of your Storage knowledge - regardless of technology or vendor - the curriculum included with the Starter Kit is a great place to start. Even for experienced Storage technologists it can still provide a more rounded view of the playing field and a better understanding of the "big picture".

If you can't get the Starter Kit then at least try to get your hands on the "Information Storage & Management" book. Read it. Read it again :-) It covers the same information as the Starter Kit Curriculum but in a different format.

OK, I'll stop talking for a minute and let you respond *lol*

17 Posts

February 26th, 2011 04:00

Hi Allen,

Thanks!!! I m happy to be in storage world:-)

Right now i m working for company as  jnr.system engg and have been asked to deal with EMC products.They haven't specified me on which product i ll be working:-( so i m not quite sure about the products..!!! I have been dealing with basic things like how the data is read and written,types of interfaces with the disk,Different RAID types as such.(I knw i m in very low level of storage!!!But trying to improve by basic!!!!:-)).I have aslo gone thru SAN NAS and how actually it works.Finding it interesting!!

Your answer has helped alot thanks!!.. i ll surely go through tat:-)

Regards

Karthik

2.1K Posts

March 4th, 2011 13:00

Well, it sounds like you are jumping in with both feet and still not sure where you are going to land. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can relate :-)

The other things I would suggest based on the info you provided is to check out the variety of other Communities here on ECN as well. There is one dedicated to Unified Storage platforms, one that deals with all things VMware, and probably one of the most "vibrant" communities on here is the Support Forums. There you can get answers to technical issues from real world users of the products across the entire EMC product line.

So, while this is a great community as well, by all means brach out to other areas of ECN as well to maximize your experience here.

No Events found!