Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2012 09:00

Question about the VILT for Information Availability Design

VILT Information Availability  Design:

In Module 6, lesson 3, about 18:50 into the lesson, there is a review of Exercise 1: Full Volume Mirroring.

Is there a misleading statement or mistake in the calculations for LUN 2?

My question:

If the sequential reads for LUN2 replication are divided by 16, why aren't the initial sequential reads and/or writes for LUN2 divisible by 16?

I would appreciate it if you could find out if I am missing something, or if there is a problem with the explanation in the course.

Background:

The instructor reviews the calculations for LUN 1, random access.

In calculating the "additional I/O load on source due to replication", the instructor states that since the reads are sequential, only 125 reads from the source are needed for the replica.

LUN1 Calculations:

500 random 4KB IOPS, RAID5 3:1, 3:1 R/W => 375 reads, 125 writes.

Since the disks are RAID5, the write penalty is 4. The calculation for initial I/O's to the source is

375+ 4* 125 = 875 initial I/O's

The replica 'reads' the source. Since the reads are sequential, there are only 125 reads.

So the total I/O's are

875 initial I/O's + 125 reads for the replica = 1,000

LUN2 caculations:

500 sequential 4KB IOPS, RAID5 3:1, 3:1 R/W => 375 reads, 125 writes.

The instructor states that the initial I/O's are the same as for LUN1. (This is the sentenc I don't understand.)

The instructor then states that a different calculation is used for the replica 'reads', since the I/O is sequential. Each "chunk" is 64KB, and the blocksize is 4KB, which means that 16 blocks are read by each I/O.

Replica reads: 125 * 4KB/64KB = 7+ = 8 I/O's

Total I/O's are:

875 initial I/O's + 8 reads for the replica = 883

This led to my question above, repeated here:

If the sequential reads for LUN2 replication are divided by 16 (64KB/4KB= 16), why aren't the initial sequential reads and/or writes for LUN2 divisible by 16?

337 Posts

August 12th, 2012 20:00

I see this thread un-answered for a long time, You ask this question under ECN>Support>Products for a wider audience.

Good Luck.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 13th, 2012 20:00

Any I/O to the source is tracked in the tracking/protection bitmap. These changes are then transfered to the replica LUN during replication. The granularity of tracking in the exercise is 64KB that is, one bit in the tracking bitmap corresponds to 64KB data on the LUN. Therefore, when system checks the traking bitmap and finds a bit set, it will transfer corresponding 64KB of data from source to target.

The source is recieving 4KB sequectial I/Os. A 4KB I/O will set the bit in the bitmap, which means while replication entire 64KB chunk will be transfered to the replica. Any further I/O to the same chunk (within the same 64KB) during the same replication cycle will not affect the bitmap. This means that in a given chunk 16 4KB I/Os will occur but will be transfered only once. Therefore, divided by 16.

However, the source will continue to do 4KB I/O and does not requie to divide by 16.

No Events found!