Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

February 14th, 2020 13:00

3168 stuck "unable to detect any disks that can be utilized.."

I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 11 model 3168.

My earlier attempt at downloading a full windows 10 image failed (stuck at Windows Setup "Getting files ready for installation (1%)'

So, I'm attempting (via Dell OS Recovery Tool) the Windows 10 "automated by SupportAssistant" path. 

The Inspiron boots , runs the Scan just fine, and allows me to try to reset.

Note that "Restore to Factory Settings" isnt available (because I had wiped the SSD earlier?)

After choosing Reset and Update (no back, confirm yes), I'm blocked with the message "unable to detect any disks that can be utilized for a cloud restore"

The SSD was recently wiped, and the only partition comes from the prior Windows Setup attempt.  I don't care if it gets wiped, but I don't see a way for SupportAssist to take charge of the disk formatting.

Any ideas from anyone?   Thanks in advance.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2020 18:00

This one was a hassle.  I ended up deleting all partitions that had been made in prior attempts and was able to get past this issue.

I was perpetually stopped at a message "getting files ready for installation" 

That must have been because of a thumb drive that I later found was less than 100% reliable.

Ultimately, I downloaded an ISO of Windows 10 from Microsoft, burned it to a DVD, (turned back on UEFI) and was able to install Windows 10 that way.  I wish that I had never tried the Dell SupportAssistant way (or the Dell site at all) as the sole reliance on a USB stick cost me days of effort that yielded nothing.

1 Message

March 4th, 2022 14:00

Hi, I'm struggling with this exact issue when trying to restore my little inspiron 11 3168 P25T003. I have tried everything including removing all partitions on the drive. Please tell me how did you restore yours? I see you "Ultimately, I downloaded an ISO of Windows 10 from Microsoft, burned it to a DVD, (turned back on UEFI) and was able to install Windows 10 that way." But where can I get an ISO of Win10 for this purpose? Any steps, links, or elaborations you can include would be hugely appreciated! THANKS!

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 4th, 2022 16:00

@mnegr wrote:

Hi, I'm struggling with this exact issue when trying to restore my little inspiron 11 3168 P25T003. I have tried everything including removing all partitions on the drive. Please tell me how did you restore yours? I see you "Ultimately, I downloaded an ISO of Windows 10 from Microsoft, burned it to a DVD, (turned back on UEFI) and was able to install Windows 10 that way." But where can I get an ISO of Win10 for this purpose? Any steps, links, or elaborations you can include would be hugely appreciated! THANKS!

Google 'Windows 10 ISO' .

No Events found!