Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2018 13:00

Dell SupportAssist closing on opening.

I have a Dell XPS 8700 and I've been getting notifications to update my system BIOS, but every time I open Support Assist, it closes/crashes immediately. I've been having a lot of problems with my PC and I think the update is crucial, so does anyone have a solution to the problem or have another way to update my BIOS?

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

September 16th, 2019 15:00

There is a new update for SA (version 3.3.3). So uninstall your current version and run CCleaner to fix registry errors and temp files. Restart your pc and download SA installer from here: https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe

Run it as administrator and let it do is thing.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2018 14:00

22 Posts

December 6th, 2018 09:00

A strange reply? Why not update the BIOS and why uninstall SupportAssist rather than Dell fixing it?

To the OP,  go to the Dell website and find 'Support all'. Enter your PC tag number and you will find the latest BIOS to download. I support many Dell desktops and this is the way I normally do BIOS and other updates. I also have one PC with SupportAssist closing. I have found this application to be very unstable and Dell need to fix it. On some PCs it installs but doesn't appear in the Start menu. It often won't start until several attempts; overall a very poor application but when it does work it works well.

22 Posts

September 16th, 2019 14:00

I agree that it is a very unstable application and has been for over a year now. I support many Dell PCs and it's a common problem. Sometimes a re-install works but for some PCs I have had to give up. When it works it's great but Dell need to accept it is very unstable and needs fixing. The BIOS stuff mentioned above is irrelevant.

No Events found!