Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2019 08:00

Dell XPS 15 9570 System BIOS ver. 1.9.1 update failed to install

When using the SupportAssist, the Dell XPS 15 9570 System BIOS ver. 1.9.1 update failed to install. Please inform me how to accomplish this installation. It seems that this update is important. Thank you for your support.

1 Message

May 9th, 2019 04:00

Hi, I could not install the bios versions: XPS_9570_01_09_01.exe nor XPS_9570_01_10_01.exe through the update assistants nor by starting them from explorer. However by starting the "Command Prompt" in admin mode by right clicking on Command Prompt and selecting: "Run as administrator". Move into the folder where you have the file(s) above and start it by running: XPS_9570_01_09_01.exe /l=c:\bios-log.txt or XPS_9570_01_10_01.exe /s /r /l="c:\bios-log-2.txt" ... I got them to work. Important!!! close everything before running them! There is no feedback, it looks like nothing happens for ~1 minute and then the computer restarts without feedback and the upgrade starts. This worked for me, hope it can help someone else!

June 4th, 2019 08:00

I got the solution, I fixed my XPS 15 9570 this morning.

1. I downloaded both 1.9.1.EXE and 1.10.1.EXE from Dell support onto my computer.

2. I made a bootable USB drive following the steps here: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-USB-Bootable 

3. I moved both 1.9.1.EXE and 1.10.1.EXE to the USB drive.

4. I restarted my computer with the USB drive inserted and went into the BIOS menu by pressing F12

5. I selected Bios Flash Update

6. I first updated to 1.9.1 since I was stuck on 1.8.1

7. After the computer flash the BIOS to 1.9.1 and power-cycled, I restarted my laptop and went into the BIOS menu by pressing F12 again.

8. I selected Bios Flash Update again.

9. I updated to 1.10.1 this time and I am now up to date.

Thanks to DCFAdmin for sending me the steps by private message.

I am not quite sure why they are not posted here, isn't this the purpose of a community...

Anyhow, enjoy if you have this problem!

Giddy Up!

1 Message

October 23rd, 2019 12:00

SOLVED: I've had this problem for months, finally just updated to 1.13.0:

1. Uninstalled 'Dell Update for Windows 10' - on a related service ticket, a Dell engineer informed me this is superceded by SupportAssist
  2. Update failed via SupportAssist
  3. Opened Device Manager > Firmware
  4. Updated this driver to latest 1.13.0
  5. Restart when prompted, at which point the BIOS updates kicked in before Windows login

So pleased it's finally done!

I'm on a Dell XPS 15 9570 on Windows 10

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 30th, 2019 10:00

Thank you for your message. What is the error message you get when trying to install the BIOS?

Does the BIOS version match in the OS & in BIOS?

There is a new BIOS version released today (version 1.10.1).

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.     

How to locate the service tag

11 Posts

April 30th, 2019 12:00

Driver details from Dell SupportAssist (Urgent Update):

Dell XPS 15 9570 System BIOS

This package contains the BIOS update for Dell XPS 15 9570 system. BIOS is a firmware that is embedded on a small memory chip on the computer's system board. It controls the keyboard, monitor, disk drives and other devices. This update addresses the Intel security advisories INTEL-SA-00185 and INTEL-SA-00191.

Version: 1.9.1

Category: BIOS

Release Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Last Updated: Thursday, April 25, 2019

Importance: Urgent

File Format: Windows/DOS

File Name: XPS_9570_01_09_01.exe

File Size: 16.86 MB

The only error message I get when trying to install the BIOS update is "Failed."

I'm assuming that the recommended BIOS version matches in the OS & in the BIOS since it was recommended by Dell SupportAssist.

I tried to install the new BIOS version released today (version 1.10.1), but it too failed to install.  Previously, I have been able to install all recommended driver updates by Dell SupportAssist until now.  Could something be turned off or on my laptop that is preventing me from installing these updates?

Thanks for your help.

11 Posts

May 1st, 2019 11:00

Based on your reply to "Dell SupportAssist: Please wait while we download and install drivers," sounds like my inability to install the urgently recommended BIOS update maybe due to a problem with one or more of the Dell SupportAssist files. Unfortunately, I've already uninstalled and reloaded Dell Support Assist (ver. 3.21.94 160 MB 4/28/2019) with no success for driver installation. Do you think that I should also uninstall and reload Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin (ver. 4.1.0.6828 11.6 MB 4/30/2019) and Dell SupportAssist Remediation (ver. 3.3.0.4943 20.4MB 3/15/2019)? Please note that I sent you a private message with the info you requested. Thank you for your continued help with this matter!

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 1st, 2019 12:00

Please uninstall all entries of Dell update, Support assist & Support assist remediation service maybe you can use a 3rd party uninstaller to remove these files from the registry.

Install Support Assist from this link & then try updating the BIOS & drivers. Do not install Dell Update while working on this.

I am yet to receive your private message.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 11:00

I'm having the same issue, and this fix didn't work for me. 

I also can't update the BIOS by downloading the executable directly either - it will download fine but when I go to launch it, after clicking yes to "do you want to allow this file to make changes to your device" it just never opens.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 12:00

screenshot.14.jpg

1 Message

May 4th, 2019 23:00

Same Issue.
Please help

1 Message

May 6th, 2019 06:00

Same issue as well.

Regards,

Raimondas

May 7th, 2019 07:00

I see the same issue updating to BIOS version 1.10.1. The firmware update utility fails with "Unable to prepare the BIOS update payload."

firmware-update-fail.png

11 Posts

May 7th, 2019 09:00

Earlier today, I received a message from Dell recommending that I install the latest Dell XPS 15 9570 System BIOS ver. 1.10.1.  I have followed your earlier instructions, but I'm still not able to install BIOS versions 1.9.1 & 1.10.1.  FYI - I'm having no problem installing Microsoft updates using Windows Update, only having a problem installing all drivers & downloads using Dell SupportAssist, Dell update or directly from the Support site.  Thus, it seems to be a Dell software update problem...

Your help resolving this problem will be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 7th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Was the BIOS update installed through Support Assist, Dell update or directly from the Support site?

What is the current version installed is it 1.8.1 or 1.9.1?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.         

How to locate the service tag

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 7th, 2019 11:00

Please share the service tag. I have escalated this issue & the BIOS team is checking if they can replicate the issue.

No Events found!