Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

February 19th, 2021 12:00

Inspiron 7706 2n1 i7-1165G7 (2020 model) Ram upgrade

Hi everybody!

I have bought this Inspiron 17" 7706 2n1 (with i7-1165G7 CPU, 2x8 GB Ram and H10 512 GB Optane SSD) and I want to upgrade RAM and SSD. Looking at my specific Service Tag Dell documentation I see that max sodimm slot storage is 16GB, while available configurations are only up to a total 16GB (2x8) of pc-3200 memory.

Sorry if that sounds like naive, but based on the previous info, can I update to 2x16 or even 2X32 GB of pc-3200 memory or not? Because I have seen ads of the same exact model shipped with 32 or even 64GB of Ram and Crucial's memory configurator confirms that I can go up to that amount..

Thanks in advance for any reply!

PS. It seems I posted to the wrong forum thread, Will someone explain how to move this to a better suited? Thanks!

Take care and keep safe...

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 11:00

Just in case anyone is interested, people from Dell support contacted me thru pm (thanks guys/Dell) and just confirmed what's written in the documentation of the laptop. They couldn't and wouldn't comment on ads or other sites that sell or confirm that the laptop can support ram/ssd that are of higher configuration and capacity.

It is weird that Dell is not fully testing and confirm its products work at full specs provided by component manufacturers, before releasing them to public, because I had the confirmation of a system builder that they had over and over again sold this specific laptop with higher Ram configuration (2x32GB) and SSD (up to 2TB), with no problem whatsoever.

I am not sure if such an upgrade renders Dell's warranty void, though. This would be really bad on Dell's part and a thing we should all be aware of!!!

Take care and stay safe.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 19th, 2021 14:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

April 19th, 2021 07:00

I am waiting for my laptop to be shipped in couple of days, It is little upsetting for me to hear from dell that this version supports only 16GB even if there are SODIMM ports are present. 

As per my experiences with earlier upgrades on different machines, it all depends on your processor what kind of memory it supports. For intel we can know from ark.intel.com.

I strongly believe this laptop should be good to go till DDR4 64GB 3200Mhz non-ECC.

Did you faced any challenges in/after upgrade? It will be a great help in Memory purchase for my laptop.

No Events found!