Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

7 Posts

June 20th, 2020 03:00

New Dell Laptop won't take an urgent update....

Hi.  

I'm new to this forum so please let me know if I get anything wrong.

I have just got a new Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop.  It seems good and having set it up three days ago I made sure that the software was apparently all up to date (checked with Microsoft updates and SupportAssist).  Then 2 days ago I got a message from Dell that there was an urgent update for "Intel Management Engine Components Installer".  I downloaded it and told it to run but just got a fail notice.  Later I went back to SupportAssist and saw it still sitting there so told it to update/install and 2 hours later it was still "verifying".  I tried it again on a number of occasions with the same result (and yes I had closed down everything I could).

Next a call to Dell to report the issue and see if they could help.  They could not help me as I had not bought it from them, so they gave me the number of my vendor and I rang them.  After a long wait, an unsatisfactory "conversation" with an agent that appeared to get cut off, and another very long wait not to get reconnected, I gave that up.

Next attempt was to go to the Dell website and look for download drivers... I found one of the same name that said it was urgent but it warned me that there was an earlier one that had not been installed.  It turns out that the earlier one was the one I had been hung up with...  So this time I downloaded my problem update to the desktop, checked the check sums, closed everything else down and ran it.  It then asked me if I really wanted to do this as the drivers loaded on the machine were later that the ones it planned to install.  Naturally I said, no thanks.

So what should I do?  There is the update that SupportAssist says I should install, but which it can't, and even the update itself seems to think it should not run.  And there is now apparently a later one that is also deemed "urgent" on the Dell website, but it does not seem to be showing on SupportAssist, though this may be being blocked by the one that does not run.

Sorry to have gone on at such length but, I have tried to make my confusion, and actions clear so that you can best advise me.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

June 22nd, 2020 10:00

Should anyone have a similar problem I thought you would like to know that I could find no one who was able to offer any help but two days later SupportAssist decided that all was well.  Which was encouraging.  Lets hope it was right.

February 25th, 2021 10:00

Hello,  Seems no one in the community cared to respond to your problem. I can relate. I’m experiencing the identical problem with my Dell Inspirion 17 3000. If this driver is so “urgent” why don’t they monitor this situation and correct it?? 
My laptop has been trying to install this update/driver for over 2 hours now and I’ve got 7 more behind it. Very disappointed with Dell and this community. Glad you were able to resolve your problem.

Pete M

No Events found!