Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Message

May 29th, 2020 07:00

Precision 5510 shutting down closing lid

Recently, in some cases, when I close the lid of my Precision 5510 then it shuts down despite of putting a setting of going to 'sleep' when 'closing the lid' in power management settings. I have followed a similar thread on the Dell knowledgebase platform: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Computer-shuts-down-every-time-I-close-the-lid/td-p/5006254 ,where another user had the exact same problem but in his/her case the problem was solved by simply updating the BIOS, while in my case the problem wasn't resolved by updating the BIOS. Is there any other solution to this problem?

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 11:00

The issue has just started on my laptop as well.... Let me know if there is a solution.... Thanks for update that updating the BIOS is not the solution....

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 11:00

Workaround is to change the setting....

When the option is set to "Do Nothing" when lid is closed the system dose not shut's down but when the setting is restored to "Sleep" it shut's Down....

Issue is to reproducible in BIOS...

September 18th, 2020 06:00

Actually, I'm experiencing the same problem on a new Precision 5540, and my Windows 10 power settings are set to Do Nothing when the lid closes in both modes.

My BIOS was just updated yesterday, and I believe the BIOS update actually introduced the problem, since closing the lid correctly did nothing during my first few days of ownership. I've tried a recommendation to toggle hibernation off and on with Command Prompt "powercfg -h off" followed by "powercfg -h on". No luck.

If I had to guess, it seems that there's a mismatch between the (numeric?) code(s) Windows is sending to the hardware for shutdown/hibernate/sleep/nothing and the actions the hardware (the BIOS?) assigns to those codes. In other words, I expect that if I play with the assignments in the power settings, I'll find that Hibernate gets me Shutdown, Sleep gets me Hibernate, Do Nothing gets me Sleep, etc.

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2020 07:00

Neil Carlson,

Windows 10: Choose Your Laptop’s Lid-Close Action

To change what your laptop does when you close it, you’ll need to visit the Power Options window in the classic Control Panel. You can access it in two different ways:

• Head to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
  • Head to Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings. The “Additional power settings” link appears below “Related settings” at the bottom of the pane. (You can press Windows+i to quickly open the Settings app.)
  • Click “Choose what closing the lid does” at the left side of the Power Options window.

• Change the options to the right of “When I close the lid.” You can select “Do nothing,” “Sleep,” “Hibernate,” or “Shut down.” There are separate options for “On battery” and “Plugged in.”

September 18th, 2020 21:00

Thanks, Jesse, but no thanks. You didn't read my first sentence, which said: "Actually, I'm experiencing the same problem on a new Precision 5540, and my Windows 10 power settings are set to Do Nothing when the lid closes in both modes." I did that as soon as I got the machine, and I also wrote it was working until after a BIOS update.

Here's a screen shot of my settings to prove it. The machine has just begun ignoring or misinterpreting them.

image.png

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2020 07:00

Neil Carlson,

You can downgrade the bios to the previous version and see if that will resolve the issue, Boot into the bios and navigate to the maintenance section and then bios downgrade.  Make sure the checkmark is in the box to allow bios downgrade. Click here to download the bios under older versions.

• 

17K Posts

September 23rd, 2020 08:00

Neil Carlson,

Did downgrading the bios resolve the issue? Let us know.

• 

17K Posts

September 25th, 2020 05:00

Neil Carlson,

Following up to see if downgrading the bios resolve the issue. 

• 

17K Posts

September 28th, 2020 03:00

Neil Carlson,

We have not heard back from you on whether or not the bios downgrade resolved the issue.  Let us know.

• 

17K Posts

September 29th, 2020 08:00

Neil Carlson,

Since we have not heard back from you we will be closing the case. Should you still need assistance please reach out to us.

No Events found!