Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2019 05:00

SupportAssist run as admin

In our environment we try to use best practices and not sign into any computers with our admin accounts and use them only for doing administrative tasks, but on Windows 10 SupportAssist does not seem to give an option to run as an admin nor can I find the actual program path to run as an admin. Anybody know the path or steps to run this without needing to fully log on with an admin account?

1 Message

February 10th, 2021 02:00

Came across this post while looking into this issue for our own deployment. The way I managed to work around was to run the service as an admin, which in turn runs the app as that admin. This is mentioned in another community post, but since this is unanswered and other people might end up on this page in the future, here's how to work around it and run the App as admin:

1. Type Services in the start menu
  2. Right click on 'Services' and run as administrator
  3. Type in the administrator password as needed
  4. Find and double-click the service "Dell SupportAssist"
  5. Go to the Log On tab and select the Run as thing and add your admin account, with user / pass
  6. You can stop and then (re)start the dell support service to make it effective real time
  7. Next time you run the SupportAssist app, it will use the permissions from step 5 and will allow you to install drivers without any UAC prompt, on the normal user account.

1 Message

February 11th, 2019 09:00

I have the same. I am trying to find the executable so I can run it from command prompt as admin. I saw that it is supportassistclientui.exe, but cannot find where it is saved in the hard disk. Any ideas?

1 Message

May 10th, 2019 05:00

I am having the same issue.  I have even tried running it from an elevated command prompt.  I know that I can probably run it if I log in with an administrative account, but I am not going to do that every time the program says it has something to do. 

It has been four months since your post, and there is still no official reply.  It would be nice if someone from Dell would at least comment on this.  I am probably going to uninstall it if they do not care enough to help.

I have had this problem with one other program, and it was a security suite.  I do not understand why anyone would design a piece of software in a way that would make it so painful to use (this includes SupportAssist) - especially when that software is supposedly intended to make your PC safer.  Doing so discourages its use.

7 Posts

May 10th, 2019 06:00

This is just a classic case of companies only putting out something quickly that makes consumers happy and not caring about people who actually support their equipment or safe practice policies. This would be an easy fix if the program was just an executable file rather than a Windows store app(apx?).

June 9th, 2021 11:00

Thank you sooooo much it works like a bomb !

1 Message

November 23rd, 2021 12:00

We have admin by request running - and I found my requesting admin access..., running a command prompt as admin, then running services.msc and restarting the Dell Support Assist Service it ran under admin privilege's and was able to run the parts that were failing

6 Posts

February 4th, 2022 09:00

This worked for me. Thank you!

1 Message

March 29th, 2022 10:00

I'm trying to get 'Dell SupportAssist' to run with elevated privileges without the need for a local admin account - so far without success.

The Windows 11 machine is AzureAD joined to the tenant partition using an account which is reserved specifically for this purpose.  Once the machine is joined to AzureAD I want to be able to be able to run the 'SupportAssist' service as the domain account (which has local administrative privileges). 

Users will then login using name@company.com and if they require 'SupportAssist' it will have the necessary privileges to work.

Any ideas?

1 Message

May 8th, 2022 16:00

We're the same.  Very frustrating.  

I always thought of Dell as a good enterprise supplier, but this is ridiculous.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 11th, 2022 18:00

"C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssistUI.exe" Launch 

use this in Admin CMD 

you can make a bat file and put it on start up to run as admin

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

January 25th, 2024 17:10

@XPS_Man​ 

Sir

The command is not working. Please advise further.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 19th, 2024 09:00

@XPS_Man​ Can´t find this file. Seems to me that "SupportAssist for Home PC" doesn´t include a UI anymore.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 23rd, 2024 14:33

This is poor design. The app should ASK for permissions not assume by itself who is and who is not the admin. There are various security tools that allow standard user to authorize as "admin" and this simple app completely breaks the flow. Does Dell provides something else for enterprises to address this issue?

No Events found!