Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 24th, 2018 05:00

Supportassist give unexpected error

When trying to run this software, it completes the Drivers and Downloads section.  The Scan hardware gives the following error.  I tried restarting the program, restarting the PC, uninstalling the software and downloading a new installer and I still get this error.  It will not run any of the other checks in the program.

Support Assist Client

An unexpected error occurred while running this request.
Close

SupportAssist was unable to complete the requested task at this time.

To retry, close the SupportAssist application and run the task again.

If this problem persists, click the Get Support Tab.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2018 06:00

Hey N3vermore:

I was able to run SupportAssist all the way thru without problems earlier today after completely emptying my Recycle Bin. I don't know how or why the two may be connected but doing that changed the equation somehow. My Hardware Scan appears to be running okay now since I downloaded the new release of SupportAssist. (Version 3.0.31 I am using a Dell Inspiron 5558, which is about 4 years old, running Windows 10 Pro. I will be shopping for a new laptop in the near future, especially if Dell does not debug its software, and my next one will NOT be a Dell machine if this issue persists. A MacBook or MacBook Pro is looking better all the time.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2018 06:00

Hi martinjimmyy:

I don't have the answer on this. I wish I did have the fix for you and the rest of us with this issue. It is up to Dell to solve it as far as I am concerned. Yesterday I did empty my Recycle Bin completely, and ran SupportAssist all the way thru this morning without problems. It did not hang on the Clean Files function as it did before. You might give that a try to see if it helps.

November 21st, 2018 00:00

Having the exact same problem on my Alienware 15 R3. Worked fine and flawless on a SSD I ordered, but I kept the original out and just did a clean install..Back on the original 128GB SSD it shipped with and it gets the error when I run Hardware Scan... Next option is just a complete reformat and start over but TRYING not to do that. I've uninstalled everything supportassist has, cleaned the registry, reinstalled.. Nothing changes. Wonder if it coincides with the latest Windows Update that went live..

December 3rd, 2018 12:00

I was able to narrow mine down to one of those programs that clashed with Support-Assist, which was EVGA Precision I use to monitor FPS and temp.

1 Message

October 8th, 2019 10:00

New machine, fresh out of the box. Same problem.

1 Message

December 28th, 2019 15:00

Same problem. New machine (1 month). The software worked for a few weeks (more or less) and then stopped working completely only briefly displaying "an unexpected error occurred" while running auto-validation on the downloaded updates.

No Events found!