Start a Conversation

Unsolved

5.8K Posts

April 22nd, 2020 00:00

XPS 8930, SA, BIOS woes in Win10

It has taken me considerable grief to post to this forum.

After hours of watching Dell SupportAssist trying to update an "urgent Dell XPS 8930 System Bios" update, I give up. It states "We're ready to update your PC." Ready and willing, perhaps, but certainly not able. SA (SupportAssist) remains in a loop.

I have never had any faith in Dell support programs, but have tolerated them when they caused me no problems, and deleted them when they caused me grief. The current Dell SupportAssist update is definitely causing me grief, with a non-ending update. It refers to a System BIOS version 1.1.13 and a file size of 6.28 MB.

This is on an updated Dell Windows 10 desktop, my main workhorse system, which is otherwise working well.

I have no idea as to the urgency of this Dell BIOS update, but but I expect Dell to fix this glitch.

258 Posts

April 22nd, 2020 05:00

@joe53 

If you are running all of that anti-malware stuff in your signature, they may be getting in the way of programs trying to do real work.

GK

1 Message

May 3rd, 2020 06:00

I feel your pain with this.  I just experienced a crash of my entire system as a result of allowing Dell SupportAssist to download and install this same "urgent Dell XPS 8930 System Bios" update yesterday.  After I accepted the update, it downloaded, then gave me a message to restart my system to complete the installation, which I did.  From that point on, my system has been completely dead, and won't even turn on.  I immediately contacted Dell Customer Support, and the tech tried to help me recover my system, but it was unsuccessful.  When that didn't work, he asked me to relay the "blink codes" from my power button to him. Turns out this update somehow negatively affected my motherboard and video card.  Thankfully, Dell is going to work with me to rectify this situation, but I did a search after I got off the phone with Dell, and found that many others have had similar system-killing problems with these "urgent Bios updates" from Dell SupportAssist.  I am thoroughly confused about this.  This is a brand new computer for me, and I was so happy with everything about it, until this.  I thought I was doing the right thing to keep it in top condition by accepting all of the recommended updates from Dell SupportAssist, but now I don't know what to think.  Why on earth would Dell send out updates that essentially kill their own brand new systems?  It just doesn't make any sense!  Anyway, I will update this posting with the outcome once my computer has been restored.  

No Events found!