Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2017 13:00

Creating an event from PowerVault Storage for suport case creation

I have SupportAssist Enterprise with OpenManage Essentials. I'm monitoring Dell PowerVault system and I want to test ticket creation when something is happening from the storage.

I've tried to remote a power cord and remove a Storage Controler. The Failed Event has been in OME but I don't see any new case with SupportAssist Enterprise.

SupportAssist Enterprise and OME are linked correctly.

In the SupportAssist Enterprise doc, I can see the following sentence : "SupportAssist Enterprise does not create a support case for every alert received from a monitored device. A support case is created only if the alert type and number of alerts received from a device match with the criteria defined by Dell for support case creation."

Which type of event can I make to force a new support ticket automaticaly ?

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

September 26th, 2017 14:00

Robert,

What versions of SAE and OME do you have?  I’m assuming SAE v1.1 and OME 2.3?  

Did you set up an OME Adapter in SAE to read the alerts under Extension > Manage Adapters?

Are you able to share the alert trapid and eventid and I can check what the threshold is?  

Can you attach or show the application log on or when the event occurred if there are any errors?  Located under:

C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssist\logs

OME adapter logs could be found here

C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell EMC SupportAssist Enterprise OME Adapter\logs

If there isn’t much information listed I can give you instructions to turn debug mode on and retest.  

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

September 27th, 2017 07:00

The Alert you see in OME, can click\double click on it and send the screen shot?  Should have a trapID and event code listed.  If OME Adapter is setup, SAE will read OME alerts every 5 min.  I'll send debug instructions next

September 27th, 2017 07:00

What versions of SAE and OME do you have?  I’m assuming SAE v1.1 and OME 2.3?

--  SupportAssist Enterprise : Version: 1.1.0.133

--  OpenManage Essentials : Version 2.3.0.1721

Did you set up an OME Adapter in SAE to read the alerts under Extension > Manage Adapters?

-- Yes : 10.*.*.* OpenManage Essentials 12 1.0 Connected  (Name / Type / Assigned Device / Version / Status)

Are you able to share the alert trapid and eventid and I can check what the threshold is?  

-- Where can I find trapid and eventid ? I don't see any in OME. I would like to know if I need to use SNMP trap from Powervautl storage device ore SAE is using OME to see alerts.

Can you attach or show the application log on or when the event occurred if there are any errors?  Located under:

-- Nothing within the event time frame

OME adapter logs could be found here

-- I don't see any log within the event tiem frame

If there isn’t much information listed I can give you instructions to turn debug mode on and retest.

September 27th, 2017 08:00

Hi,

I've removed one FC and one Power cord from the powervault.

I'm seeing the Health Status with a red status but no alerts

As you can see in the screenshots

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

September 27th, 2017 09:00

Simply pulling the cord once may not be enough, it may need to be twice within a couple of hours, that’s why I need the alert info but no alerts are coming in.

There is no service tag listed.  SAE wouldn’t be able to process alerts without a service tag so there could be a configuration issue with OME and the setup which is outside my expertise.  

I do know ports 161/162 ports needs to be open on OME Server to make sure firewall is not blocking SNMP alerts

MDSM needs to be installed on the OME\SAE server

SNMP needs to be enabled on the on the discovered device and match the community string setup in OME.

OME has a troubleshooting tool and alert listener to verify the alerts are indeed coming in. Perhaps you can login to a discovered iDRAC device and send a few alerts to verify traffic is coming in.

If everything is already in place, in order to provide better assistance, we recommend that you call Dell Tech Support so they can confirm configuration on OME site is correct.  At the same time, they can also confirm SupportAssist is also configured properly to communicate with OME.  The forum isn’t meant for in depth troubleshooting because it’s difficult to obtain the information.

September 27th, 2017 10:00

Oki Thank you I will check with Dell Support.

I've tried to make a test with the troubleshooting tool with "SNMP Trap Sender" and I don't receive any alert. But If I test "SNMP Trap Listerner" option, it's working fine and I can see my snmp from outside the OME server or from the same server.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

September 27th, 2017 19:00

Yes you would need to use the Trap Listener.  Did you send the trap from the PowerVault device or another?  Is your SNMP config enabled on the PowerVault device?  Did you contact support?  If so keep us posted on the resolution.

September 28th, 2017 06:00

Hi,

I've talked to Dell support and SNMP call are getting perfectly to the Trap listener. I've rebooted again the Windows server and now, I can get the SNMP event getting througt OME.  At this stage, I can see Trop OID  (3004) in OME but the event doesn't show in SAE.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

September 28th, 2017 07:00

You see the alert in OME now?  As before no alerts were listed?  Can you send a screen shot?  Where are you looking in SAE?  Is the Device in OME listed under the devices tab?

September 28th, 2017 09:00

No Events found!