Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Message

June 11th, 2018 00:00

Dell Support Assist Freezing or Crashing

Hello,

Trying to load SA but will freeze or crash on me

Been looking around for a fix but nothing seems to work for me. When SA starts to load it will just freeze or crash. Tried uninstalling SA but that does not work either. It will just freeze on me

Please any help will do. Thank you

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

May 4th, 2023 10:00

If you're experiencing issues with SupportAssist, please try to perform a Clean Reinstall.

Check this video for reference:

--

If you're still having issues after performing the steps above, please contact our agents using Get Help Now on the bottom right corner of the page. 

(edited)

2 Posts

June 11th, 2018 14:00

The same thing has been happening for me for a few days now. I'll get a notification to optimize my system but whenever I open Support Assist it freezes. 

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

June 11th, 2018 17:00

SupportAssist stopped working on my Alienware 17 R3 after the latest update. I suspect it was caused by the SupportAssist Update Plugin. I uninstalled SupportAssist, then manually reinstalled using the SupportAssist Installer from the link below. It works fine now.

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/no/no/19/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/supportassist

June 12th, 2018 12:00

I guess ThomasAAT is right. I had the same problem, and in my case I didn't realize it had made the update (as usual in Windows 10 which is quite annoying). I have WIndows 10 Pro and I got a blue screen requiring the reload of Explorer. I only understood it had to do with Support Assist Update when I noted it deleted the icon in the taskbar. In fact the latest version dates from June 8th, when all this happened. I tried Repair and Reset without success. I started considering uninstall and install it again, so that's what I will try.

Thanks

I'm seeing the same problem on my Precision T3600 with Win10 x64.  I'm up to date on Windows patches as well, and haven't tried to run the diagnostics in a few weeks, so it seems to fit with the situations I'm seeing here as well.

SA tries to start and I see the initial window with a grey background and the "squares" (hourglass) within.  Once when it locked up after I killed it for being non-responsive ("SupportAssistUI is not responding") I tried launching it again and saw the "cards" within the startup window but it was still locked up, but I haven't been able to repeat it.

I tried logging out & in again, then rebooting, then updating my nVidia drivers and rebooting.  Same issue.

1 Message

June 13th, 2018 14:00

Me2

June 14th, 2018 03:00

Just an update: I went through the apps on control panel (Windows 10 Pro) and uninstall both Support Assist (since I had run the repair and reset it added an additional icon for the app - original and repair). I followed the link provided by ThomasAAT and install Support Assist again and it is working fine.

Also to point out that the sort of behavior in my XPS was exactly as described by Glen...

1 Message

June 15th, 2018 12:00

i am facing the same problema with my 7460 with Windows 10 Pro

1 Message

June 15th, 2018 14:00

I can't even uninstall it as there is a package problem the Uninstall wizard tells me.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2018 05:00

Same problem on my 5568 laptop. Started after an upgrade from 2.2.0.253 to 2.2.1.23. Dell Update also seems to be affected :-(

1 Message

June 17th, 2018 09:00

Same thing here. 

1 Message

June 17th, 2018 11:00

Me too.

1 Message

June 18th, 2018 02:00

I came here for help.  I see many people are having problems with Support Assist.  I have an XPS 8920 tower, which I bought in December.  I keep getting messages to run Support Assist, but when I do it comes up Support Assist not responding.

June 18th, 2018 04:00

I'm having the same issue. I have a Dell Inpiron 15 7000

1 Message

June 18th, 2018 06:00

Same. Hopefully they'll patch the issue soon seeing as so many people are have the same problem.

No Events found!