Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2019 06:00

Dell Update 0 of 1 successful

Dell Update keeps nagging me to upgrade my BIOS to 367D9 1.12.0 but whenever I try I get a "success" message that says "0 of 1 successful". I assume this means my BIOS is up to date but, if so, why does it keep nagging me to update again? I'm confused.

172 Posts

November 22nd, 2019 01:00

It's best to check the Dell site, entering your Service Tag, then can see what important drivers/firmware updates required. Many will not need all of the downloads, example, I don't bother with fixing what isn't broken, like optical drive or HDD firmware, unless there's a widespread issue with these drives. 

As for getting the latest BIOS, it'll be on the page, download it as well as the instructions (if provided), close all other software (to include security). If a PC which doesn't normally have a battery unlike a notebook, it's best to have it plugged into a UPS (backup power for PC & electronics). These aren't that expensive and is a good investment, when the power goes out, this gives one time to safely power down. 

Otherwise, don't upgrade BIOS during a storm. Follow the instructions, right click & run the firmware as Administrator, it'll do it's thing, just watch, will reprogram the BIOS & reboot all on it's own. There's been many newer BIOS versions released for older computers which otherwise would go without any, mainly to do with CPU microcode updates. 

I don't allow Support Assist to automate items like BIOS updates, it's best to do these manually. Most PC shops recommends the same, there's variables that Support Assist has no control over, like security running a scan, a storm overhead, lots of possibilities. Updating firmware is 100% different than updating software & must be done safely. 

Do it yourself & be assured the chances of a successful upgrade will be much higher.

Good Luck!

Cat

1 Message

March 16th, 2019 20:00

Same, it is very annoying

March 17th, 2019 05:00

The same, but for SupportAssist OS Recovery Tool. After scanning for system devices and creating a restore point I just end up with "0 of 1 successful" message.

1 Message

March 19th, 2019 08:00

same error does anyone have a solution for this??

1 Message

March 23rd, 2019 09:00

Same for me using dell update app, but once I went online to dell support and scanned my computer from there it finally worked!

1 Message

April 18th, 2019 11:00

Same. Was advised to update BIOS because a rogue "system" process keeps consuming my CPU. Told support of this bios update problem and they said... We will need to replace the motherboard, heatsink and fan to resolve the issue. The laptop is about 3 months old. **bleep**.

May 19th, 2019 04:00

Same problem for SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools

Is there at least a way to stop those annoying reminders to update?

1 Message

July 23rd, 2019 14:00

did you ever solve this? I am getting same message as you were in March...sorry to be a hassle

• 

16.7K Posts

July 25th, 2019 05:00

chipinchina,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

What is the issue with the update?

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

August 15th, 2019 14:00

My BIOS was recently in July. Windows update tells me there is a Dell Firmware update missing from January. When I run the utility I get the same message.

172 Posts

August 16th, 2019 03:00

You may want to download Adwcleaner (it's free) & run as Administrator to purge any of the malicious junkware that shipped with the PC, as well as any later installed. These will be quarantined (reboot will be required to clean whatever is found). I strongly recommend running this utility, as well as installing Malwarebytes Free version (14 day Premium Trial) & running a full scan of the computer (custom). Be sure to check 'Scan for Rootkits' before selecting drives to be scanned. Some of those shown may be the DVD burner & card reader, these doesn't need to be checked. The 'C' drive and any Data partitions should be before doing anything else, if Malwarebytes finds anything, these also needs to be quarantined, again a reboot will be needed. 

Then it may be possible to update your system normally, you'll also likely see that your computer is running faster

I've had issues with both Dell & Intel updating software causing system issues, once removed, these ran like new again & was able to update manually. No different then IObit & other services, which does the same. Driver updating software is often the main issue with getting the job done, including that which are shipped by many OEM's, not just Dell, some are worse. Plus uses a lot of drive space & another 'phoning home' software running in the background. I'm not exaggerating, this is the truth. Today, even EVGA has done the same with their GPU drivers by trying to force GeForce Experience down our throats (have to create an account for it to function), so I always select 'Custom Install' & deselect GeForce Experience. I check for newer drivers every 2-3 weeks. 

As far as my XPS 8700 was concerned, was able to manually download drivers & new UEFI updates & all installed perfectly, once I got rid of both Dell & Intel updating software. 

In my opinion, we should be able to select the option out of the box if we want these services (the EU is much stricter than the US in this regard). One should then go to the Dell on a monthly basis (or other OEM site), enter the Service Tag, then look for updates. The exception is when new, one should always update drivers before anything, then run Windows Update & make a full backup image of the drive, Macrium Reflect Free is great for this. I tried the Dell Backup, the setting I selected instead of using the 500GB of space on the external I selected, formatted the entire drive & had to stop the operation. I thought something was up because it was 'preparing the drive', which I had already done. 

Fortunately, using MiniTool Partition Wizard, was able to recover all of my prior backups that had been deleted & that Dell Backup software would forever be gone. 

Another example of what automatic utilities will do & why I don't trust these to do the job. I'm an Advisor on a major Tech forum, we always discourage using utilities, free or paid, to update hardware. With Dell, it's easy as pie, lookup the Service Tag, give it a minute & all will be there for download. 

Good Luck!

Cat

No Events found!