Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

April 24th, 2018 10:00

Error events by SupportAssistAgent, thousands of them, system crashes every night

I have a NEW Dell XPS, Win10 that is having all kinds of problems. The power settings get change. There are thousands of Event "0" by "supportassistagent" showing message:

"An exception occurred in session change of service start: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

The system power settings are to "Never" shut off but every night something happens and it goes to sleep or something. During day it seems OK. There are many events about going to sleep followed by events that it is waking up seconds afterwards. Lots of Error events by RMT NeverSleepAgent

"IRMT - CPowerPolicyManager::SetPasswordRequiredValue   PowerWriteDCValueIndex for GUID_LOCK_CONSOLE_ON_WAKE failed with error 0"

and more, like this: Event 533

Catalog Database (3692,D,0) Catalog Database: A request to write to the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb" at offset 10731520 (0x0000000000a3c000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes has not completed for 36 second(s). This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Any suggestions?

33 Posts

June 21st, 2018 06:00

I also get the same event: An exception occurred in session change of service start: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I do not get the power or sleep related issues.

I believe the two situations are likely independent as others have reported the SupportAssistAgent related event.

Based on your message, it looks more like you may have a disk error.   You might run a chkdsk on c: to see if it reports a problem - it may not as reads might still work while a write does not.  I googled the file path in question - the first item is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/event-application-log-reports-multiple-event-id/5c13fd68-60b2-4f57-b4d9-3cfc83a4a618 which includes a potential work around.

Good luck

No Events found!