Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2016 21:00

Support Assist uninstalled automatically and now cannot install.

Hi, I'm on an Alienware 17 R3. 

Support Assist took me to some driver updates after which Support Assist was missing. tried to reinstall Support Assist but to no avail. Every installation has the same termination dialog box

Restarting doesn't help either. Tried system restore - Support assist came back - but on opening the program ended saying incompatible.

And then tried installing afresh and same dialog box

Online diagnostics now don't work because after system detect Support Assist does not get installed.

I am a frequent user of Support Assist and bank on it heavily. Any help would be highly appreciated.

20 Posts

August 9th, 2016 23:00

Hello Akshay,

The logs which were attached indicate that a file is in use which is preventing the installation from completing successfully.  It appears that  C:\Program Files\Alienware\SupportAssist\Resources\CEGUI\Fonts\Lato-Black.ttf is in use. Please follow the steps below

1. If SupportAssist program is present in Programs and Features, uninstall.  After this is complete, please verify that there is no folder located at C:\Program Files\Alienware\SupportAssist.  If this folder is found, and the application is not listed in Programs and Features, please delete the folder.

2. Once step 1 is complete please retry to install once again from the URL content.dellsupportcenter.com/.../aulauncher.exe

Thanks

August 13th, 2016 00:00

Dear Jayanth,

Support Assist does not show up in Programs and Features, However, the folder did exist. I could not delete the folder on its own, but I did open the folder and delete the contents.

3 versions of Lato-Black font could not be deleted as it constantly gave an error saying that the files are in use by the system.

Attempted a re-install after deleting the folder contents (except Lato-Black font) and still coming up with the error in installation as mentioned in the first post.

Do let me know how to proceed further.

Regards,

Akshay.

August 17th, 2016 05:00

Dear Jayanth / Joe,

Thank you very much for all your help once again. The above steps worked like a charm - am back up with SupportAssist installed and working again.

Must mention that you guys are the reason that holds up the brand,

Thanks and Regards,

Akshay.

20 Posts

August 17th, 2016 07:00

Akshay,

That is good to know, glad that you are back up an running. It was a pleasure to help you.

Thanks

Jayanth

20 Posts

November 21st, 2016 21:00

Hello Akshay,

To further understand and root cause the issue, the development team wanted the following information. Appreciate if you can provide the below information

• Which Driver update was suggested by PCDr after which the issue was observed

• Version of PCDr installed at that time.

Thanks

1 Message

September 30th, 2018 01:00

we are deploying around 3k pc so for every single pc its very hard to go by this steps.

@jayanth_yk wrote:

Hello Akshay,

Thank you for contacting Dell. It appears like there is some stale data which is preventing the support assist from reinstall. Looks like SupportAssist is not completely removed. Check if Dell Support Assist service is running under services, if it is, try to stop the service and manually remove the following folders

1. If it is a 64-bit OS, remove the folders C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell

2. Click start & Run, Type- %ProgramData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.

3. Click start & Run, Type- %AppData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.

4. Open regedit and goto HKLM->Software->WOW6432Node (if the OS is 64 bit)->Dell and remove SupportAssistAgent

After performing the above steps, try to reinstall from the below mentioned location

www.dell.com/supportassist

Please let me know how it goes,

Thanks

Jayanth

1 Message

October 9th, 2018 06:00

This method did not work on my pc.

No Events found!