Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2016 21:00

Support Assist uninstalled automatically and now cannot install.

Hi, I'm on an Alienware 17 R3. 

Support Assist took me to some driver updates after which Support Assist was missing. tried to reinstall Support Assist but to no avail. Every installation has the same termination dialog box

Restarting doesn't help either. Tried system restore - Support assist came back - but on opening the program ended saying incompatible.

And then tried installing afresh and same dialog box

Online diagnostics now don't work because after system detect Support Assist does not get installed.

I am a frequent user of Support Assist and bank on it heavily. Any help would be highly appreciated.

20 Posts

August 16th, 2016 11:00

Hi Akshay,

1. Have you attempted to reboot the system and then try to delete the folders and files completely? If not, can you please try to reboot the operating system and as soon as the OS comes up try to delete the folder.

2. If the above step doesn't work can you open the command prompt as an Administrator and execute the following command:  del /f /s /q /a "C:\ "

Some of the files are holding up for a successful uninstall and hence you are not able to install correctly. If the above steps don't work we may need to use process explorer tool to identify the process locking these files. We will explore this later

Also, can you please confirm if Dell Support Assist Agent has been successfully uninstalled from the system?

Thanks

Jayanth

20 Posts

July 24th, 2016 23:00

Hello Akshay,

Thank you for contacting Dell. It appears like there is some stale data which is preventing the support assist from reinstall. Looks like SupportAssist is not completely removed. Check if Dell Support Assist service is running under services, if it is, try to stop the service and manually remove the following folders

1. If it is a 64-bit OS, remove the folders C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell

2. Click start & Run, Type- %ProgramData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.

3. Click start & Run, Type- %AppData% and enter. Delete the PCDR folder.

4. Open regedit and goto HKLM->Software->WOW6432Node (if the OS is 64 bit)->Dell and remove SupportAssistAgent

After performing the above steps, try to reinstall from the below mentioned location

www.dell.com/supportassist

Please let me know how it goes,

Thanks

Jayanth

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

July 25th, 2016 12:00

Hello Jayanth, Why not put items 1 to 4 and the rest into a DELL  update for all users if it works!

I have not tried it myself. As it looks like a hassle.

Rob

July 25th, 2016 14:00

Dear Jayanth,

Tried everything you said - No Resolution

20 Posts

July 26th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for the feedback Rob. We will communicate this to our product team

20 Posts

July 26th, 2016 08:00

Hello Akshay,

Can you please provide more information. Do you see Dell Support Assist service running in the windows services? If it does, are you able to stop the service?

Were you able to remove the registry entry or the registry didn't exist at all?

Thanks

Jayanth

July 26th, 2016 08:00

Yes, it wasn't uninstalled properly like you mentioned. Stopped the service first and then did an uninstall from the control panel and removed the registry entry and deleted the folders.

Tried installing 2 times with the same result.

20 Posts

July 26th, 2016 23:00

Hi Akshay,

Can you please send me all the logs under %AppData%\PCDr\Installer\Logs to my email @ Jayanth_yk@dell.com. Also, are you able to uninstall Support Assist Agent from successfully?

20 Posts

July 27th, 2016 03:00

We had a similar issue reported and one of my colleagues suggested the below steps and it seems to have worked. Can you please try?

Quick Steps

• From the Control Panel, uninstall Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssistAgent.

• Remove the following directories by opening start menu and run %appdata%\

• Remove PCDr

• Run %programdata% and remove:

o PCDr and PC-Doctor for Windows

• Run exe

o content.dellsupportcenter.com/.../aulauncher.exe

If that doesn’t work try the detailed steps or just run the detailed steps first.

Detailed Steps

Note: Execute all commands at an admin command prompt.

1. Execute “uninstaller.exe” found in any of the following directories.

a. \program files\Dell Support Center

b. \program files\My Dell

c. \program files\Dell\My Dell

d. \program files\Dell\SupportAssist

2. If uninstaller.exe doesn't exist or fails

a. Run Regedit.exe

i. If it exists, Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor

ii. If it exists, Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PC-Doctor for Windows

iii. If it exists, Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PC-Doctor

b. Delete each of the following folders if found

i. \program files\Dell Support Center

ii. \program files\My Dell

iii. \program files\Dell\My Dell

iv. \program files\Dell\SupportAssist

v. %appdata%\pcdr

vi. %programdata%\pcdr

vii. %programdata%\PC-Doctor for Windows

viii. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Dell\SupportAssist

c. Download and execute the EXE noted in the URL below.  Note: do not use an existing copy as we want to ensure the latest version is being used.

i. content.dellsupportcenter.com/.../aulauncher.exe

Thanks

Jayanth

20 Posts

July 28th, 2016 00:00

Hello Akshay,

We have escalated this issue to our engineering team. Kindly refrain from using any of the steps proposed earlier, until we have proposed solution from engineering. I will keep you posted once we are ready with the solution. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Jayanth

July 29th, 2016 05:00

This is getting a little bothersome now. You miss the complete point. SupportAssist has been uninstalled. The problem is that I can't it to install now. So, no possibility to uninstall anything now.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

July 29th, 2016 07:00

Akshay - please try to install once again via the following URL

content.dellsupportcenter.com/.../aulauncher.exe

once if fails, collect the following logs so we can investigate the error code, zip them up and and attach here.  Steps:  Start Menu > and type %appdata%, then collect the following folders

%appdata%\PCDr\Installer\Logs

and

%appdata%\PCDr\Update\Logs

20 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 08:00

Hello Akshay,

Did you get a chance to retry the install again as Joe suggested above? If it fails again please attach the logs

Thanks

Jayanth

August 5th, 2016 13:00

Logs attached earlier were from the Installer folder.

Attached is the log from the update folder. 

August 5th, 2016 13:00

Dear Joe,

Apologies for the delay, was travelling for work.

Tried installing from the link you suggested - same result.

Logs for the same are attached.

Hope you can revert with a resolution soon.

Regards.

No Events found!