Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2017 19:00

Support Assistant Embedded vs. Support Assistant Enterprise

I do have a couple of question to the support assistant, where i am unclear configuring our new hardware.

We just bought two new DELL S4048t-ON Network Switches.

The last step where i am a bit stuck, is configuring the support assistant.

We do already have an Support Assistant Enterprise installed, where we track our poweredge servers with.

I was about to setup the embedded Support Assistant in the switches, where i thought why not add them in the enterprise console.

Before finish any config there, i do have a couple of questions:

- What is the difference between the enterprise console and the embedded support assistant?

- I would like to activate the Support Assistant on the S4048t-on. Can i still add the device in the enterprise console and is this wise to do it in 2 places?

- Are there any features not available when using one or the other method?

- Can i add the switch in the enterprise console even it only has RSA-Authentication activated, because all i could find was to add it with a username and password?

- When added to the enterprise console, there will be a option to enter a snmp community. Will this community has to be setup manually on the switch?

- When activating the embedded Support assistant, there is an option for a second url? Can i add the Support Assistant Enterprise there?

- When activating the embedded Support Assistant on the switch, out of which vlan or port does the switch communicate with the Support Assistant whether it is the online or on site one? Because i cannot seem to add the correct firewall rule, because the switch has multiple ip addresses.

Thanks in advance and appricate any help/infos on this.

Best Regards,

Manuel

4 Operator

• 

39 Posts

November 27th, 2017 11:00

SupportAssist Embedded is only intended for those customers that do not use SupportAssist Enterprise. If you intended to use SupportAssist Enterprise to manage your devices, please do not enable SupportAssist Embedded because it has very limited in functionality.

Best option is to discover and managed the devices directly through SupportAssist Enterprise. The SupportAssist Enterprise User’s Guide has pretty detail instructions on how to manage Network Switches.

The Community string and Enable Password values are required in very specific scenarios, please review the Adding a Network Device section in the SupportAssist Enterprise User’s Guide  

Thank You.

February 23rd, 2018 00:00

Hi there,

when I'm trying to add my S4048T to SAE it says they're not supported. What am I doing wrong here?

Athi

No Events found!