Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

X

2 Posts

October 1st, 2018 16:00

SupportAssist missing and cannot reinstall

So last night I was going to run the Dell SupportAssist and when I was going to click on it, it was gone and than I searched for the answer on the dell community but nothing helped me so I am going to write here and ask my own since I can't find the answer. I did found something close to where I clicked on control panel > programs and when I right clicked it it said uninstall and repair and I click repair and it said it was missing when ever it was there so I click that and said something about it missing like kind of corrupted so than I decided to reinstall it so I uninstalled that one and tried to start the installer and when ever I did it said I probably lost connection to the internet with it saying installation cancelled when ever I did not get disconnected to the internet so how can I fix this.

I also have a windows 10 OS.

October 1st, 2018 20:00

I noticed that my Dell Support Assist desktop icon was missing too.  Look for it on the Start Menu as "Support Assist" (no Dell).  If it's not there, look for the app in Microsoft App Store.  Once installed, to add the desktop icon back, open the Start Menu, pan down to Support Assist, left click it, hold, and drag to the desktop.

I'd be interested in knowing if Support Assist was always there but just had a name change.  I almost sure it had Dell in the name.  Or did you need to do a complete install from the app store?

I don't know why it went missing.  But'd be nice to know from someone at Dell.

Update...

I tried to run the Support Assistant, but it just hung.  So I ran another app called Dell Update.  This found a bunch of updates.  It installed 6 of 7 and needed to reboot.  The last update was a Support Assistant update from 4/20/18!?!  I bought this computer in August and have been using it a month and a half and have run the Support Assistant weekly.  Regardless I updated that and now Support Assistant can run.  Woo-hoo!  No issues found.

I wonder if I'll need to run Dell Update to update Support Assistant in the future or if Support Assistant will update itself.

October 4th, 2018 11:00

Not sure if this helps, but I called Dell about this but they tried to get me to "buy" this and "purchase" that when I ask where the icon was.  So I found this:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/supportassist

So, it's in my programs but since the icon disappeared, Support Assist no longer worked for me.  So, I uninstalled, then reinstalled from the link up above, then, go into your search button, type in Support Assist and when it appears right click and then pin it to your task bar.   You'll find after reinstalling, you still won't get the icon--you have to put it there yourself on the task bar.  Oh!  When I first ran it, it's super weird with space/scifi images, then they stopped.  Then it appears to be a normally run Support Assist again (be patient).  Dear Dell, please allow Dell customers to keep this Support Assist for free, don't try to sell it to Dell customers.

1 Message

October 13th, 2018 08:00

I bought this Dell on 9/3/18.  Loved supportassist, then it vanished.  I think the Windows 10 update wiped it out.  I’m pretty unhappy with Microsoft and Dell at this point.  I live in Round Rock, Texas, the home if Dell.  About to become a Mac user.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

October 14th, 2018 22:00

Hi Claytone,

In case your Windows get upgraded to RS4 or RS5 then there will be no shortcut of Dell SupportAssist.

You can check under control panel whether SupportAssist is installed or not. In case SupportAssist is installed then you can launch there from Window recently added program you can go to Dell folder and try to launch SupportAssist.

In case SupportAssist is not installed then you can get in touch with Dell technical support team.

Thanks

DELL-Nikhil K

Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell

1 Message

November 1st, 2018 04:00

I purchased a Dell Inspiron at the end of August. I used Supportassist a few times and liked it. So I created a shortcut for it. Today went to use it and the shortcut was gone. Searched online as to why and found this post.

I typed supportassit in the search box on the desktop, and it was still on my laptop. Right clicked on it and added it to the task bar. Now lets see if it stays there.

1 Message

August 1st, 2019 05:00

It may have been posted a long time ago, but looking for "support assist" was the best answer!  I knew it was on my pc because it's under uninstall programs.  Which is a good way to know if you actually still have it.

Thanks!!

No Events found!