Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

19 Posts

August 19th, 2019 12:00

Cannot install SA?

PC: Inspiron 15 5559 i5 8gb, 3 years old.

Several problems after Win10 update (slow ethernet download speed, LCD display will not wake up)

So I thought I'd give SupportAssist a go at fixing the problems.  It used to be in my Start>Dell>folder but it's not there anymore.  I went to Dell download page for SA.  After the download the installation stalled out, literally 30 or so pop-up windows of Windows Power Shell with nothing but a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.  Run as admin does not help.

PwrShll.jpg

It was a real chore to make it stop.  Found some instruction on Dell Support to uninstall SA and SAAgent from Control Panel (done).  Delete SA and SAAgent and PC-Dr folders from Program Files and Program Data folders.

Cannot delete the SupportAssistAgent Folder from Program Files/Dell because the folder or a file is open in another program:

NoCanDelete.jpg

I opened Resource Monitor to see what program(s) are using SupportAssistAgent files:

ResMonSAAgent.jpg

There is a list of about 30 instances of a file(s) being used.  explorer.exe is one of them and if you end that, forget it, you can't open file explorer to delete the folders.  I don't know what stopping svchost.exe will do, and I'm scared to find out.

Then I went into RegEdit to see if any of the SA or PC-Dr keys need to be removed but I found no instance of those keys.  I went as far as I could with deleting everything except the SupportAssistAgent folder in Program Files/Dell.

Restarted the PC, then tried to install SA again.  This time there were no PowerShell pop-ups, but no indication that anything installed either.  The install windows just suddenly disappeared.  Went to Start>Dell> and there is no SupportAssist icon.

I went into Program files > Dell > SupportAssistAgent > Bin and found some SA exe files, clicked on them one at a time and got nothing:

SAexeFilesNada.jpg

I've tried to uninstall, delete, install 3 times and it's not working.  

(Insanity; noun, attempting to do the same thing over and over and over, but expecting to get different results.)

Any suggestions?

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 03:00

I have the same problem

September 26th, 2019 14:00

I've been trying to install the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools update v. 4.4.2.9869 off and on since it came out in August with no success. I decided to try again today - as usual, it downloaded 180MB and then says "Installation Complete, 0 of 1 successful" (which is especially annoying since I live in a rural area and have limited bandwidth).

After I did that I continued with my usual maintenance routine and when I went to run SupportAssist it was gone! I can't find it anywhere using the Start button. It's gone out of Programs and Features, although the folder is still there under This PC - Apps. 

So should I just move on and forget about SA or is it really important to have it? If I should have it, I assume I should delete all files for it from my computer before downloading it again.

Dell Updates still thinks I need the update, which is kind of funny when it's deleted the program for me!

No Events found!