Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

_

March 12th, 2018 14:00

SupportAssist services, can they disabled?

Hello,

Dell XPS 8910 Came with win10 (October 2016).

Major issues came with the PC but have ALL blossomed in the last month or so. I don’t know what is responsible for the issues.

The problems include: SLOWNESS, varying delays with mouse – NOT program specific; mouse & KB inactive (was only on boot, but now randomly)

Every time there is something wrong (See below 4 details if interested), Task manager shows “Dell Support Assist Remedation Service” using BY FAR the most MEMORY (>10,000 MB). I don't know what it is, what it’s for, but would like to DISABLE IT. 

PROBLEMS EXPERIENCED RECENTLY & CONTRIBUTORS:

*Windows 10: Apparently, a recent MS update's "side-effect" is DISABLING KB & mouse.

*Firefox (58.0.2) update => problems

*Dell updates – EXAMPLE: Latest BIOS slowed system more, delayed program operation …

*The XPS IN GENERAL.

*My ISP

Since the Dell Support Assist Remedation Service is always there, using XS memory, I figure removing / disabling it might allow me to troubleshoot more specifically.

Thank you in advance!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

March 12th, 2018 15:00

I also have a Dell XPS 8910 but I do not have the Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service running in Task Manager. I have disabled the Dell SupportAssist Agent which allows for remediation when an issue arises. You can disable it by right-clicking the Windows Start icon, selecting Run, typing 'services.msc', right-clicking 'Dell SupportAssist Agent', selecting Properties, and changing the 'Startup type' to Disabled. Here is another thread on the subject: https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/Unable-to-install-Dell-SupportAssist-Remediation/td-p/5182073. There are others that have reported problems similar to yours. 

35 Posts

March 13th, 2018 20:00

Hi and Thank you very much for replying!

I have not disabled any yet b/c I found 9 dell/dell related services in "services.msc". 2 are related to Dell support assist.

I want to disable all 9 of them

Each is "automatic-delayed start".

Here they are: The one using XS memory is the "Dell Support Assist Remedation Service"

Automatic - delayed start - ALL of them.
1. Dell Customer Connect
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Customer Connect\DCCService.exe"

2. DDVDataCollector
"C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault\DDVDataCollector.exe"

3. DDVRulesProcessor
"C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault\DDVRulesProcessor.exe"

4. DDVCollectorSvcApi
"C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault\DDVCollectorSvcApi.exe"

5. DellDigitalDelivery
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Digital Delivery\DeliveryService.exe"

6. Dell Help & Support
"C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Help & Support\MDLCSvc.exe"

7. SupportAssistAgent
"C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssistAgent.exe"

8. Dell SupportAssist Remediation
"C:\Program Files\Dell\SARemediation\agent\DellSupportAssistRemedationService.exe"

9. DellUpdate
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Update\DellUpService.exe"

Many thanks again!

35 Posts

March 14th, 2018 19:00

This 8910 XPS HAS BEEN NOTHING SHORT OF A NIGHTMARE FROM ORDERING IT (Oct 2016) to TODAY. I guess the latest GARBAGE from microsoft and dell finally overwhelmed the system to stopping completely and after waiting a long time(S) 4 TM I finally find out that Dell has given me something THAT WORKS SYNERGISTICALLY with the other BUGS called "Dell Support Assist +/- REMEDIATION". This uses MINIMUM of 10,000 MG MEMORY. I don't know WHAT IT IS (FOR) why It is here, why I cannot remove it? Why I have 8 or 9 instances including a plug-in from it. Etc.

Since the BIOS A12 (thank U DELL) has made it (DSAR) I guess worse perhaps someone here could tell me HOW TO REMOVE IT FOREVER. Maybe that will help others who trusted dell in being able 2 create for example a BIOS that improves NOT DEGRADES the systems; an "assist" program which we can opt in or out of and has a purpose other than killing computers and me etc.

I believe that computer companies have an obligation to make sure programs (BIOS updates, etc.) are compatible with the systems. They also should answer questions and I believe they should NOT install programs like the 1 I am battling now (DSAR) without WRITTEN permission. All I need from this nightmare now is to be able to use the internet for HP web sites (without the cursor and mouse delayed until tomorrow).

Thank you in advance.

35 Posts

March 15th, 2018 12:00

Hi

I have an XPS 8910 (WIN10) BIOS 1.1.5 (12/13/17) flashed in Feb 2018

PROBLEMS with MicroSOFT MANDATORY updates and DELL's unintelligible programs (Dell support assist remediation - taking up 10,000 Mb mem)

Together WITH a bad BIOS (or worse than prior) as below (I guess synergistically CAUSED the issues).

EXS boot time; MOUSE KB frozen on boot / while using; programs XS time 2 open etc.

To make a long (hopefully relevant) post short found "DELL support assist remediation" in processes, services using > 10,000 MB mem.

After FINALLY STOPPING it and its related "Dell support assist" quicker boots, no mouse KB problems; cursers move fast; programs open…

DELL shame on U for not taking responsibility

Sorry to all here for posting abt different PC, diff BIOS but same problems (with a possible solution)):

GET RID OF: Dell support assist remedation & Dell support assist in services/processes.

HTH

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 16th, 2018 04:00

Open Windows Programs and Features and UNINSTALL these programs =
SupportAssist
SupportAssist Agent

35 Posts

March 17th, 2018 12:00

Hi!

Thank you for replying!

"Open programs and features and UNINSTALL these programs."

WHICH programs? Do you mean all of these?

https://www.dell.com/community/forums/replypage/board-id/supportassist-pcs/message-id/82489

I have permanently STOPPED the DSAR (and DSA) I have others now:

How does one UPLOAD a file?

I have 3 now with what DELL is/is not running.

35 Posts

March 24th, 2018 12:00

I just read your post. I finally got rid of the Dell support assist garbage (IT MESSED EVERYTHING up) I have XPS 8910 (Win10)

Getting rid of it solved all but it was installed without my knowledge (Thank U dell. (And microsoft 4 NEVER asking permission.))

Can U answer MY question Re: WHAT IS SAFE 2 remove?

35 Posts

April 1st, 2018 11:00

I hope this isn't a double post. I got a treacherous BIOS update but already (as I've posted) I had the "dell support assist remediation" which on top of Windows 10 "updates" caused problems. Including even back-ups took up to 4 or 5 hours. (Now 15 minutes - the usual). I disabled it (stopped it) which solved things. I'm in Canada and support is somewhere I can't understand and vice versa. Their objective I suppose is to access PC remotely. Still waiting on how & if okay to uninstall the Dell programs (Customer related etc.)?

Happy Easter or whatever else you celebrate on this Holiday Sunday!

35 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 10:00

XPS 8910. WIN 10

Unfortunately this PC/Software has been a NIGHTMARE.

Dell installed "dell support assist" (DSA) ? November 2017. With various updates I finally realized that DSA was using up XS resources (10,000 MB RAM) and slowing everything down including back-up 4-5 HOURS. Other issues. I finally removed it (permanently ended task) and still was hoping someone could answer my question as to HOW to remove it w/ add/remove and what other dell extraneous stuff I could remove. Today I see "Dell Support Assist" downloading in task bar. No way to stop it; no asking ME if I wanted it; etc. PLEASE SOMEONE tell me CLEARLY how 2 remove DSA safely. A VERY UNHAPPY Dell customer.

I do NOT officially work 4 DELL but it seems I am a volunteer dell alpha tester.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 3rd, 2018 12:00

Your software post belongs in your SupportAssist thread, not on the Desktop board. So I moved it to your thread.

1. Open the online "Dell SupportAssist for PCs and Tablets User’s Guide"
2. At the bottom, click on Uninstalling SupportAssist. Follow the instructions

Added them here =

How to uninstall
* Right-click the Start menu button and select Control Panel
* Under Programs, select Uninstall a program
* In the list of programs, locate and select Dell SupportAssist
* At the top of the window, select Uninstall
* When done, locate and select Dell SupportAssist Agent
* At the top of the window, select Uninstall
* When done, restart the computer

June 11th, 2018 14:00

Chris:  First of all, SupportAssist isn't listed under Programs in the Control Panel.  I finally was able to uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller Pro.  BUT (and this is a big BUT), it reinstalled itself, WITHOUT ASKING, 2 days later.  I uninstalled it again, and BOOM, 2 days later, it's BAACCCKKK!!  The program slows my computer down to a crawl (sometimes a complete freeze up - and it has rebooted with no warning a couple of times!)..  I don't want it, don't need it, and want to get rid of it FOREVER!   I contacted Dell support, and their reply was "Your computer is out of warranty - here are the PAY options to get support"...  what the H***???   How do I get rid of this zombie program ???

Jim H.

35 Posts

June 13th, 2018 11:00

I am sure you checked under "Dell Support assist" Or "Dell update Support Assist"?

(It's not under S)

33 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 09:00

First off, there is a clash between Support Assist and Support Assist Remediation service.  Early dell support assist and/or Dell Foundation Services installations included Support Assist Remediation.  As of about a year ago, that got dropped but the updated Support Assist package never removed the Support Assist Remediation package.  Instead, you wind with a MSI conflict which manifests as Windows Application Event log messages - the source is MSIInstaller and the event  number is 1035.  You will see one event for every application you have installed on your system.  In general this should be harmless but in practice, repeated MSI re-verifications of all applications can result in application corruptions.

So step one should be to uninstall Support Assist Remediation from Control Panel -> Programs and Features;

Also remove Support Assist (to start with a clean re-install after reboot)

Do a real shutdown - not a fast shutdown which leaves many services pre-activated.  To do a real shutdown run from a CMD window:  shutdown.exe /f /t 0

I set up a shortcut on all my systems and to a real shutdown every week or so.  It means a slightly slower startup next time but it forces a clean start.

Next you can re-install Support Assist.  Never go back to the old packages i.e. Dell Foundation Services and older versions of Support Assist though they are still on the Dell drivers and download pages for the models that I own.

Next, there is a second problem with the latest Support Assist.  When you start up and login  with a user account rather than an admin account, after a real shutdown (which also happens when you get most cumulative updates from MS),  you may be prompted to enter admin credentials to start the Support Assist service.  This problem has been acknowledged by Dell although not very visibly; the workaround for now is as follows:

- from an admin account run computer management (compmgmt.msc)

- go to services and double click the Dell Support Assist service

- from the logon tab, set the service startup account to an admin account and set the password

- reboot - you should be fine until you re-install Support Assist

I do not recommend you remove Support Assist, just Support Assist Remediation.

Support Assist may have some glitches but it makes it much easier to find out about updated drivers and BIOS.

I have never had a Support Assist driver or BIOS installation bung up a system.  It occasionally misses detecting a new update for a week or two.  I have been told by Dell support people that it accesses updates in advance of their showing up on the public Dell download pages.

By the way an alternative to the standard download pages is:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/inspiron-17-5759-laptop.html

(click on go back to main page)

You can easily find all versions of drivers for all systems.

No Events found!