Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2018 11:00

XPS 8910 SupportAssist new version bug

Last month my Support Assist was working fine.

My SupportAssist .exe files seem to have been updated last week.  And now it no longer works.

I still get the notification to run support assist, but when I do it pops up the window and stops responding right away.  You can see a screenshot here: https://imgur.com/FwB1wbv

June 24th, 2018 14:00

==========================================================================

In the folder

C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\Resources\

rename

New-Dell-Logo-White-Small.png

to 

New-Dell-Logo-White.png

(just remove the -Small from the end of the file name)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS WORKS!!

Found this solution here. Spread the word!

3 Posts

June 13th, 2018 13:00

I uninstalled it from add/remove programs, and then followed the instructions below and it fixed my problem.  Where it says "issue number", I think it means "version number".

--- begin ---

The June 12 Dell Update Application on new edition caused an interruption in the application.
SA need to be reinstalled to solve the problem.

http://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe

The issue number will remain 2.2.1.23

--- end ---

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

June 13th, 2018 13:00

I prefer not to use SupportAssist. I stopped the service from running but since the 2018 April Windows 10 update a new version was installed. SupportAssist tells me that there is a new driver for my discrete graphics card that I should install, but if I go to dell.com/support and enter my Service Tag the new driver is not listed. It turns out that my graphics card is not on the list of cards that the driver recommended by SupportAssist applies to.

My recommendation is to stop SupportAssist from running and use dell.com/support to look for updates. View and read the driver update details and make sure the updates apply to your hardware.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 13th, 2018 20:00

@Vic384 wrote:

I prefer not to use SupportAssist.

My recommendation is to stop SupportAssist from running and use dell.com/support to look for updates. 

Yeah ... I have Dell Update and Alienware Update (long since) uninstalled.

For some reason, I was getting Windows Notifications from SupportAssist about Dell Updates the other day.
- I do not want this because I like to do my own BIOS and file updates ... thank-you very much :TongueTied:

Noticed in Windows Reliability Report:
Was Level-10 (perfect) for months prior to 5-2018.
About 30 days ago, started getting Daily red-errors crashing (Background-Task Stopped Working) of various SupportAssist files. Took me down to about Level-5.

Uninstalled:
Dell SupportAssist
Dell Product Registration
Alienware Customer Connect

Left Installed:
Dell Digital Delivery
Dell Foundation Services

June 14th, 2018 03:00

Many thanks for all your Infos. We do have the same problem on our
XPS 8930 Win10 v1803 computers with DELL SupportAssist 2.2.1.23.

Will probably soon deinstall those DELL apps if they do not work propperly!

Regards, Chris

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 06:00

Yes, all my Dell machines had the same problem.  The solution is to uninstall DellAssist and then reinstall followed by a reboot.  All of my machines then worked properly.  The only vestige left of the old version is that when you right click the task bar and select toolbars, the Support Assist toolbar shows the old version although it cannot be activated since the new version doesn't support it.

June 25th, 2018 03:00

Many thanks, Technut.Canada! It works for us, too!

Regards, Chris

No Events found!