Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2010 07:00

Clones/BCV

while selecting clone tgt or BCV devices can we choose a device which is of different in size may be a bigger vol or a smaller volume.. Is there any documents available for the best practices. 

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 5th, 2010 07:00

clone target can be bigger (EMC® Solutions Enabler Symmetrix® TimeFinder® Family CLI Version 7.1)

Copying from a source device to a larger target device

Clone source and target devices no longer have the requirement to be the same size.
Now the size of a clone target device can be larger than the source device. This
support requires the following SYMCLI environment variable be set:
SYMCLI_CLONE_LARGER_TGT = ENABLED
Limitations — The following limitations apply:
◆ Restore is not allowed.
◆ Full copy support only; cannot use -differential.
◆ Concatenated metadevices are not supported.
◆ When using this feature on striped metadevices you have to preserve the
metageometry. That is, the source and target devices should contain the same
number of metamembers. However, the target device members can be larger than
the source device members.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 5th, 2010 09:00

Nope, block copy tools (timefinder/srdf) , target has to be equal size or greater than source.

217 Posts

July 5th, 2010 09:00

Thank you dynamox,

well Can we use smaller one as well. I know it does nt any make sense. but is it possible?

217 Posts

July 5th, 2010 10:00

for SRDF both r1 and r2 needs to be have identical traks, i guess we can not have more or less since it occupy mirror positions.

I guess we can use a smaller vol as a target  when we are using Open replicator.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Migrating data from R1 to a larger R2 device

You can copy data from an R1 device to a larger R2 device.
The following SRDF operations are blocked when the R2 device is larger than the R1
device:
◆ Swap or SRDF/Star operations.
◆ Data migrated to a larger R2 device cannot be restored back to the R1 device.
◆ Concatenated metadevices are not supported; striped metadevices are supported.
Note: Depending on the type of file system and attached host, certain host-dependent
operations may be required to access the migrated data

with open replicator - target device has to be equal size or larger, just like with clones.

217 Posts

excellent dynamox,

But where are you pulling all these answers point by point....:)

and one correction for OR.

If a case arises where you need to force a copy from a larger device to a smaller device (for
example, you initially copied data to a larger device and now want to copy the same data
back to the smaller device), you can do this by including the –force_copy option with the
symrcopy create command.

EMC Solutions Enabler Symmetrix Open Replicator CLI Version 7.0 Product Guide.

So my doubt is if it possible of OR will be possible for clones, Some say OR works as clone but on a remote frame.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 5th, 2010 11:00

That only works when you are pulling data back where you previously copied from small to large, not for the first copy from large to small.

217 Posts

July 5th, 2010 11:00

is it. thanks.. I did nt knew it.

No Events found!