Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2008 00:00

DMX-2 & DMX-3

Hi,

I have an AIX server connected to a DMX-3 and got some space allocated to it. Now I need to connect it to a DMX-2 to add more space. Can I do that with out any issues with the same HBAs connecting to both at same time? or Can you please help me to come to a conclusion on the same?

Thanks
AJ

2.8K Posts

June 26th, 2008 10:00

Since you asked, I'll try to answer your question reg Shared HBA and Shared Server .. Even if I'll loose the opportunity to receive some points from Rob ;-)

The starting point is your host that is connected via at least an HBA to a fabric (a storage area network/SAN). Your host can already "see" devices from a given storage.

Now just imagine you want to introduce another storage (maybe it's from a different vendor, maybe not, however it's different).

The question is: my host can see both storages ??

3 different answers.

1) shared server (strict sense)
The server can see different storages via different HBA connected to different SANs

2) shared SAN
The server can see different storages via different HBA connected to existing SAN

3) shared HBA
The server can see different storages via existing HBA and existing SAN

You can find details of supported configurations in e-lab navigator (as noted in another post of this same thread).

108 Posts

June 26th, 2008 02:00

Thanks Write cache.
FAs on DMX-2 are not loaded at all and there are 4 HBAs on this server where all the four are connected with same devices. I was just concerned that using same HBAs for both connections to DMX-2 & DMX-3 is ok or not?

108 Posts

And one more questions on FAN IN LIMIT? Is there a specifc limit any where mentioned in the best practices guide?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Yes ,
You can very well do that , it would be much more better given the work load is spread across different DMX's .

You can check the limit by the fan - in ratio for the HBA

Although this is my point of view , lets see what the experts have to say about the same .

5.7K Posts

June 26th, 2008 05:00

Welcome to the forums writecache !

5.7K Posts

June 26th, 2008 07:00

Anything ? Even IBM or HP ?

2.8K Posts

No probs AFAIK .. It's supported to share the same HBA between any EMC storage (Good old DMX, elder Symms, modern CX .. whatever you want) :D

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

sure i had 3 different vendors connected to one box through the same set of HBAs :)

2.8K Posts

It's not exactly what I stated ;-) .. I said "EMC storage" .. :D

However if you look at the support matrix (e-lab navigator if you prefer) you can easily find if your configuration is supported .. look at the "Mixed storage environment" line in Results.

It mainly depends on the OS and on the HBA. However it happens that we support "Shared Server" and "Shared HBA" configurations .. In case you want better details, OPEN A THREAD and be ready to award points ;-)

5.7K Posts

June 26th, 2008 08:00

It's not exactly what I stated .. I said "EMC storage" ..

I must have been somewhere else in my thoughts.... Excuse me. You were right, as always.

And for now: on to the company BBQ !

108 Posts

June 26th, 2008 09:00

Thanks Guys for the answers. I had been reading through all earlier posts and there is so much stuff in that. You guys are simply great :-)

Is there something called shared server/HBA matrix on e-lab navigator? I havent found that exactly. But seen multiple storage environment for non-EMC boxes

Thanks for answer and I am going to award ..... Nice talking to you Stefano, Dynamox & RRR.

Thanks
AJ

108 Posts

:-)

2.8K Posts

Never take me too seriously when it comes to points ;-) ..

However ThX for the award :D

2.8K Posts

I don't have actual numbers for fan-in .. however I remember something like 3 to 6 .. depending on the host and the OS .. Not an issue right now, I suppose ;-)

108 Posts

Thanks for the explanation and time stefano. :-). I got give you the points

AJ
No Events found!