Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2008 06:00

Deleting non dynamic pair where R2 is write enabled.

Folks,

We have a non dynamic RDF pairing, where the R2 devices are currently write enabled, and masked/assigned to a host. I now wish to return the R1 devices to the storage pool. I spilt the RDF pairings using a DG, and unmapped the R1 devices. I now see the status of the RDF pair state as being failed over. If I convert the R1 devices back to STD RAID5, will this traverse the link, e.g. will the write enabled R2 devices become RAID5 devices also? What I am most concerned about it the R2 devices not becoming write disabled at any stage in the process. Not familar with this scenario (deleting the RDF pair (non dynamic) where the R2 is write enabled. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Da

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

February 14th, 2008 06:00

David, as per S.E. 6.4 manuals, PN 300-002-940 you can remove RDF protection to RDF devices without impact on the IOs .. Please read on:

When adding/removing RDF attributes, there are no restrictions on I/O. The RDF pair must be split or failed over. If failed over, the R1 device must be unmapped.

It looks like you are in the right state to issue symconfigure and remove the static pairing :D

AFAIK R2 devices will never "go back" to WD.

131 Posts

February 14th, 2008 07:00

It should work just fine, but you could always do a "symrdf -g swap" prior to removing RDF.

This would turn your original RW R2 into a RW R1, (and the WD R1 into a WD R2).
This can be done on non-dynamic pairs, it kicks off a config change at each end.

Best Regards,
Marc

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

If I convert the R1 devices back to STD
RAID5, will this traverse the link, e.g. will the
write enabled R2 devices become RAID5 devices also?

When you issue a "symconfigure" command to change RDF pairing (either create or remove it) your command will "spawn" two different changes on both boxes (local and remote) at the same time. So at the end of the process you'll have your beloved RAID5 LOCAL volumes (since you are deletin pairs) :D

15 Posts

Folks,

Thanks' for the clarification, I presumed it would not write disable the R2, but better to be safe than out of a job!

D

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

David if you work with either storage or backup, please remember to always have in your jacket an open ticket to Caracas .. In case of emergency, jump on the first flight :D
No Events found!