Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2011 11:00

Device Groups in SPA

I am a new user to SPA and would like to know if you can create Device Groups to be used by SPA to track specific application Luns.  What I would like to do is take a problem server and create a device group with the Luns for that server and track it separately in SPA.  I see that Device groups can be created in SMC, but I am not sure what the other ramifications of doing that are.  Is anything else affected when I create a device group?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 30th, 2011 11:00

device group is a logical container, i do exactly what you described. The only difference is that i create device groups from command line and have to restart SPA to recognize them. Maybe if you create them from within SPA you won't have to restart SPA service.

859 Posts

September 30th, 2011 12:00

I dont think we have added the functionality to create device groups in SPA. Device groups are to be created from SMC or cli and it should be visible in SPA.

Just FYI, if you have created a device group and its visible in SPA then dont change the device group name from upper case to lowercase or lower to upper. SPA DB is case sensitive and will not show the stats for this particular DG if the case is changed.

regards,

Saurabh

147 Posts

October 2nd, 2011 16:00

dynamox wrote:

device group is a logical container, i do exactly what you described. The only difference is that i create device groups from command line and have to restart SPA to recognize them.

Usually you can hit refresh in the SPA gui and it will import any new device groups, without needing to restart SPA. I have had random experiences with the way it refreshs symmdgs, sometimes its instant, sometimes it needs an SPA refresh, sometimes it needs a SPA restart.

Also I found it helps if you don't have heaps of symmdgs which you don't care about, I try and stick to a dedicated non-gns symapi_db.bin file for SPA hosts.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2011 16:00

Jason,

iv'e tried multiple times but never was able to get them to show, i only have a few dgs on my SMC/SPA host. Just recently upgraded SPA 2.2 ..hopefully it will be better, i hate to restart SMC/SPA just for that.

859 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 01:00

Dynamox, its a known problem but only noticed at few customer's site.

No Events found!