Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2013 08:00

Even vs Odd numbered cylinder counts

I have heard, word of mouth, that when configuring new symmetrix devices, that you should always configure with even-numbered cylinder counts, but I have been unable to find any recent documentation to support this.  I have found some older documentation that seemed to indicate that odd nunbers can cause some SRDF issues, but if I read that right it seemed to be specific to about the time the track size was changing from 32K to 64K.

Is there any validity to the statement that only even numbered cylinder counts should be used ?

I have also heard the same thing about creating meta luns with only even numbered member counts.  Same question there.

In both cases, the question is most specifically related to Virtual Provisioning, but if the answer is different depending on whether it is VP or traditional, that would be good to know as well.

2.2K Posts

October 15th, 2013 07:00

In the context of the VMAX with virtual provisioning it shouldn't matter whether the cylinder count of a volume is even or odd. Same goes with meta member counts, but I prefer to use traditional counts anyway like 4, 8, and 16. You don't really need more than 16 for performance, only capacity.

October 14th, 2013 22:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Symmetrix Support Forum"

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 15th, 2013 07:00

Thank you Christopher.  Question has been moved per your suggestion.

No Events found!