Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2017 09:00

Expand stripe meta with protection - can BCV lun be considered a backup of the data?

I know to expand a stripe meta with BCV for protection and I was wonder if the BCV LUN can be kept for a while after expansion just in case I need to revert back. The BCV is the same size as the original meta but has all data on it after a successfully expansion? (The expanded LUN will have new size and cannot be shrink back to the original size). I am thinking about taking from host the expanded LUN and give the BCV instead.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 13:00

why not just create a clone of the production LUN ? After clone full copy is complete, terminate relationship otherwise i am afraid it will now allow you to expand production LUN.

November 8th, 2017 05:00

Thank you for your reply dynamox!

When the expansion was done on the wrong disk (and there was no plan in advance to make a clone) ... the only way to reclaim the space is to give another LUN (with the size as before expansion) and to migrate data on the OS side from the LUN expanded (to be reclaimed) and the new LUN. I was wondering if I can simply avoid the migration step and give the BCV instead (all data is there and has the initial size). I think I have to test it .

No Events found!