Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2013 09:00

How do I get the device back on the original drive after a permanent sparing?

A device was moved to another drive by permanent sparing. How do I get the device back on the original drive? I am looking to get PSE lab to do a movement of the device from inlines? Is there any way to reverse a Permanent sparing action after the bad drive is replaced. I know there is a primus that talks about it but cant seem to find it.

605 Posts

May 20th, 2013 23:00

Hi anuj_goyal,

please have a look at primus: emc171953 - "Symmetrix DMX, DMX-3, DMX-4, and VMAX: How do I reverse an unwanted Permanent (Member) Sparing swap?".

i hope it can help with you.

12 Posts

May 20th, 2013 22:00

Thanks Chris, Sorry im a first time user on EMC community, Still getting to know the interface....The hardware is VMAX, have moved the discussion to symm support forum...

Thanks Jun for the assist.  Yeah he had originally posted it in his own "Discussions" space so was helping him get it relocated.

anuj,

Firstly, please consider moving this discussion to the proper community for maximum visibility.  Posts in the users' "Discussions" space do not get the same amount of attention.  Furthermore, by relocating it to the proper community, it will answer my next question which is what hardware are you referring to?  You can relocate the question by selecting "Move discussion" along the right under ACTIONS and then choosing the proper community.  Once relocated and you provide more details as to the hardware you are referring to, I assure you someone will pounce on it.

I will assume though that you are referring to a CLARiiON or VNX possibly?  To answer your question, while there are several documents that talk about it, the following document will suffice and provides sufficient detail for your inquiry:

https://support.emc.com/docu35535_White_Paper:_EMC_Unified_Storage_System_Fundamentals_for_Performance_and_Availability.pdf

Skip to the section: "Global hot sparing".  As you'll read, there is nothing more for you to do than replace the failed drive.  The system will being the process of "equalization" which is to then copy the data from the hot spare back to the new drive (which of course is in the same slot as the original).  The hot spare then returns to the global (hot spare) pool to be available as a candidate for the next failed drive.  You can of course monitor the entire process via Unipshere (or CLI).

605 Posts

Hi Christopher,

I think anuj is refering to Symmetrix product.

Hi anuj,

I suggest you to ask some help from the PSE lab.

No worries.  btw, let me be the first to welcome you to the forums, but above all thank you for being an EMC customer.

You can of course ignore my answer   Since I have very little experience with the Symm/VMAX, now that it is relocated, we'll let the experts review.  Should only be a matter of minutes.

12 Posts

Hi Fenglin,

I agree with you, The swapped drive is of same speed and capacity. The entire picture goes like this,

We are facing fiber loop issues and PSE lab has already suspected a DAE which they might call for replacement anytime. Permanent sparing has moved the data to one of the disks on the suspected DAE. We are not willing to take any risks as this device holds production critical data and we want to have the data moved out of that DAE.

2.1K Posts

Hi anuj_goyal,

Why do you need to move original disk back to your device? Normally the Permanent sparing has same hardware specification as your failure disk. If it was invoked, i believe it's same as your original disk which provide same capacity and speed.

i think it's possible to move Hypers across the physical disk but PSE might not do it in any normal situation.

-Fenglin

12 Posts

Hi Jun_Tan,

Thanks for your response, Im currently in a chat with PSE lab, But I wanted to know if this can be done from our end without support involvement,

After sparing the bad drive was converted to a spare and now that drive is replaced and available to be used as a spare. I want my data moved back to the same physical drive(same slot) where it was originally. I was thinking if i cud manually start another permanent sparing and use the original drive as the spare and copy data back where it belongs. Is that possible?

No Events found!