Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 11th, 2014 13:00

How do you open UPV files ?

Ever since i migrated from SMC to Unisphere for VMAX , i have been using the export functionality where i export performance data from Unisphere for VMAX into UPV format.  I could later open these files using Unisphere for VMAX Performance Viewer. I don't know exactly when but it seems that Performance Viewer tool has been pulled and no longer available to customers. It's only available to SPEED certified CEs.  So who's brilliant idea it was to remove this tool from customer access and how do you recommend customers open UPV files now ?

Thanks

226 Posts

November 11th, 2014 15:00

Hi Dynamox,

The only way to open UPV files is with Unisphere for VMAX Performance Viewer; and as you noticed, UPV is now an EMC internal tool. For internal use, it's nice to be able to produce the same charts that you, our customers, see. Previously we were producing charts offline using other internal tools like SymmMerge or STPNavigator, but this can be a bit confusing as the chart format and sometimes even the metrics are different than what you see in Unisphere for VMAX.

My understanding is that we removed UPV as a customer-facing product because customers already have the same view of their arrays' performance data using the online version of Unisphere for VMAX. If you could elaborate on your use case for offline UPV versus the standard version of Unisphere for VMAX, I can pass your feedback on to appropriate product management team.

Thanks,

- Sean

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 11th, 2014 17:00

Sean,

The  database in the "live" product keeps a maximum of 15 days of Diagnostic data, the Historical data can go further back  but it does not contain individual device stats,  FA, DA only. While i still collect BTP data using ECC ( i know i know it's going away next year), i prefer to look at the stats using the performance viewer. I setup  Unisphere for VMAX to export 24 hours worth of diagnostic data that i later on copy to an NFS export and store it for later use. A couple of months ago i upgraded to the latest version of Unisphere for VMAX 1.6.2.11 (i think) and today i need it to open a UPV file to look at some stats only to discover that my Performance Viewer 1.6.0.8 cannot load UPV files generated from 1.6.2.11 version.

I remember at EMC World one gentleman at the VMAX booth told me that Performance Viewer will not be available to customers, i asked him why and he said that customers found it very hard to use because it was a Linux based appliance, WTH ?  But he told me that there was going to be a Windows based Performance Viewer available to customers.

So what a customer to do know, how to look at historical performance data ? I am not going to buy your bloated ViPR/SRM product.

114 Posts

November 12th, 2014 06:00

RLY ? Give us the tool back EMC ! Who is the product management genius that decided this and how much of the sales  of another product Performance Viewer is eating ? Or how much of PS revenue will EMC gain ?

I also keep at least 3 months of UPV files - we have performance affecting events we need to go back and review then compare. I have one SG for my entire VMware cluster - 230TB and I need to have volume level performance data - historical is useless in this case.

Here is another reason:  A year ago I went to Symm Performance training - the tool they used for the labs was Performance Manager - 10 years old completely obsolete and part of discontinued ECC. 3 months later my organizations paid another 3k for the newer Symm Performance training - 100% based on UPV. Now that tool is not available ?

226 Posts

November 12th, 2014 16:00

Thanks guys.

I kind of figured your use case was related to long-term retention of diagnostic data, but I didn't want to 'lead the witness', as it were, before hearing that from you directly.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I've passed your feedback on to the relevant product management team.

Thanks,

- Sean

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 13th, 2014 08:00

Sean,

so when you talked to product management team did they share with you why they decided to remove this tool from customer access and how they recommend customer open UPV files ?

226 Posts

November 13th, 2014 09:00

I'll let you know when I have an update Dynamox.

Thanks,

- Sean

12 Posts

November 14th, 2014 11:00

Hi Dynamox, Sean, count with me, i am really curious about that as well. Thank you JB

No Events found!