Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2012 13:00

How to check LUN is receiving I/O's from which FA path.

Hi All,

Does anyone knows how to check that a particular LUN is getting I/O's from which FA path.

We have a scenario here wherein we have mapped a LUN to 4 FA's and due to MPIO policy set to failover it was just using 1 FA path to access the LUN which was causing the congestion on that FA port.

But now System Admin has changed the MPIO policy to round robin.

I want to check if now the LUN is receiving I/O from all the paths.

Array: Symmetrix DMX4

Thanks in Advance..

465 Posts

October 30th, 2012 14:00

The Performance Manager stats (if you use ECC) will show at an FA level how even the IO rate is across the 4 FA's. If other hosts use the same 4 FA's and they are doing unbalanced IO then you may still see unbalanced IO even though your host is balancing IO. You can also check your switch port stats that the host connects in to. These should show balanced IO rate. Failing that, perhaps you could consider a PowerPath install - it has a display function that shows IO's to the FA ports. :-)

10 Posts

October 31st, 2012 06:00

Thanks Jasonc.

So there is no symstat command to view this?

448 Posts

October 31st, 2012 06:00

if you have a device group created on the same server you have SMC/SPA on you can get some performance metric via that; SMC/SPA has to be aware of the group.  Not sure how much you can get on a DMX-4 though.  If you can set that up its worth the few minutes of work it takes.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 31st, 2012 07:00

it will not provide the granularity Amita is looking for, it i will simply show iops ..not what FAs they came from. I've checked in Performance Manager and SPA.

10 Posts

October 31st, 2012 08:00

Thanks everyone for reply..

No Events found!