Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2010 07:00

How to convert standard discs to R1 discs while maintaining data consistancy?

Dear all,

I have several standard discs made available to a server.  These have been mounted via Linux multipathd and use LVM to create the volume groups.

I wish to convert these discs into R1 discs so I can use a R1/R2 pair for DR.

Is it possible to convert these discs without destroying the current data on the discs?  I don't really want to backup the data and then restore it to the new R1 disc.  Approximately, how long would this take for 200Gb?

Best regards, S.

59 Posts

January 7th, 2010 10:00

Yes, you will need to set the rdf bit on the device (if not already set), and then establish the SRDF relationship.

sagle

385 Posts

January 7th, 2010 12:00

Do you know if you are using static or dynamic RDF in your environment or will this be a new setup?

Either way you can convert your device to an R1 while maintaining data - if you have dynamic SRDF and have the "Dynamic RDF Capability" you can quickly convert the device and add it into the group.  Static RDF would just require a little more work since it would require a configuration change.

124 Posts

January 8th, 2010 00:00

Hi ,

I am not sure what you are using Dymanic or Static SRDF but i will just provide you with the steps for both.But the important thing is that you can convert the non-SRDF lun to SRDF without any downtime or Host impact.

For Static SRDF :

1. Source Lun - 0818 (e.g)  - which you already have as 200GB
  2. Create a new Meta Lun of 200GB on the DR Storage SYMM - we try to have same LUN name as source to avoid any confusions while troubleshooting.
  3. Now convert the Source Meta Lun 0818 to R1 by running  symconfigure on the below file :

convert dev 0818 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group= , remote_dev= , invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;

convert dev 1FAC to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=19D0, invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;  - as an example

4.   Create a device group and add the device in a device group shown below on the source side

symdg create   -type RDF1

symld -g add dev

5.   Now run symrdf -g establish

6.   Check the status using symrdf query on the DG, the time for 200GB depends on the kind of link you have in your environment.

7.   Map and Mask the device on the DR Host.

For Dynamic SRDF - where the symm as well as the devices are Dynamic RDF capable, use the below steps

1. Follow step2 above to create the DR Lun
  2. Now to make the SRDF relationship, we need to create pair between the source and DR devices using the below command.

Create a vi file which have the Source and DR device details as

SRDF_File.txt

0818 0817  (for e.g)

run the "symrdf createpair -file SRDF_File.txt -sid -g -establish "

3. Run symrdf query on the DG_Name and check the status.

4. Map and Mask the LUN on the DR side.

Let me know

7 Posts

April 16th, 2011 11:00

I like your response here;  I have a question on your set for Static RDF. when you create thr RDF device group "symdg create xxxdg -type RDF1". Is this RDF device group for "just" the new devices you trying to add or for all the RDF devices on the symm. And dont you at any point have to enable or disable the RDF link before you add /pair the devices?  Let me know what you think.

124 Posts

April 18th, 2011 01:00

Hi Ampofo,

The command "symdg create xxxdg -type RDF1" creates a RDF group which has the source devices (RDF1) and it is never a good idea to have all the devices on the symm in the same DG group. The Point is to make sure, you have different device groups for different servers devices which are on the symm, so that you can failover/failback/replicate the devices as per the requirement based on server to server and it is easy to do it in terms of administration by using DGs and not devices in a file.

If you have single RDF group on a symm, it will be nearly impossible to work with that DG @ the time of Failover for a single server accessing only few disks.

The RDF DG is in reference to the server which is connected to the disks and not the entire devices.

Also, you don't have to enable or disable the RDF link at all before you add/remove the pair. This process can be done anytime without any issues. You just have to make sure that the links are up for RDF and then you start the replication.

Hope the answers were statisfactory.

Rahul

7 Posts

April 18th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the clarification. also with the syntax "convert dev 0818 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group= , remote_dev= , invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;" why do you have start_copy=no? why not start_copy=yes? is there any perfomance hit if I use start_copy=yes.

Let me give you my exact scenario: I have a server which is currently SRDF'ed, static configuration. there are now devices groups created. the way they used to do it was to have EMC do a bin file chcange everytime there was the need to add more devices to the server. The server currently has 2Tb of devices that are been RDF'ed. There is a need to add 8 more devices, and these devices also need to be RDF'ed.

Now to do this the way you outlined above; the device group I create (since there has never been one created) do I need to include the existing 2Tb devices that are already been RDF'ed  together with the new devices I have just created and neeed to set the RDF pair etc then present to the server, or my new RDF device group I create is  only going to contain the new 8 devices and not the existing 2tb? let me know, thanks.

By the Way: when I run the symconfigure to convert ; I had the below error.

$ sudo symconfigure -sid 235 -cmd "
> convert dev 0D52 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=0135 invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;
> convert dev 0D53 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=0136 invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;
> convert dev 0D54 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=0137 invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;
> convert dev 0D55 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=0138 invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;
> convert dev 0D56 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=0139 invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;
> convert dev 0D57 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=013A invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;
> convert dev 0D58 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=0307 invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;
> convert dev 0D59 to RDF1+R-5, ra_group=2, remote_dev=0308 invalidate=R2, start_copy=no;" prepare
Execute a symconfigure operation for symmetrix '000187880235' (y/ ) ? y
A Configuration Change operation is in progress. Please wait...
    Establishing a configuration change session...............Established.
    Error occurred while Defining change number 1:
    The request is not allowed for SRDF/A-capable devices in async mode
    Device 0D52 generated the failure
    Terminating the configuration change session..............Requested.
    Terminating the configuration change session..............Done.
The configuration change session has failed.

448 Posts

April 19th, 2011 07:00

Check primus solution emc119437.

10/12/2005 14:15:41.253 2007094       convert dev 081A to RDF1+R-S, remote_dev=044C, ra_group=2, invalidate=R2, start_copy=NO;
10/12/2005 14:15:41.267 2007094     }
10/12/2005 14:15:41.946 2007094     Submitting Local configuration changes....................Failed.
10/12/2005 14:15:42.615 2007094      1 EMC:SYMCLI                cfgControlSubmit     Local config server msg:
10/12/2005 14:15:42.615 2007094     0x4000832b: Unknown RA group 1 (SymApi 2).

There are two potential fixes to this problem:

1. Modify the command file syntax to specify a static RDF group with for the ra_group value.

2. Add the dynamic RDF attribute to the local and remote devices and re-run the change.

if you can get youself into a wholly dynamic SRDF setup it would be much better for you.

https://community.emc.com/message/395540

No Events found!