Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2011 15:00

How to setup SRDF for VM hosts ?

Hi All,

For one of our project,we required to setup DR site.All the servers on which the application are vitrual machine.We are going to create virtual machines in DR site also?Is there anyway we can setup the SRDF connectivity between the 2 production data store ?

we have done virtual to virtual migrations.at that time we have provided temporary luns and we have created temp data store using that and we did a vmotion of data from permanent data store to temp data store.

but for setting up the DR,it will not be a good option,because the overall space requirement is about 57 Tb.

so is there anyway we can set up the replication between the VM,without providing temp datastores ?

thanks,

Anoop CR

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 4th, 2011 06:00

when you setup SRDF replication you have to have R1 devices in your source array and R2 devices in your target array. If you need DR for your VMs, you will need to setup replication for LUNs/datastores where those VMs reside. On target side you will need to have ESX hosts that will be able to connect to these R2 LUNs/datastores.  While R1 is replicating to R2,  ESX hosts at DR side will not have access to datastores because they are write disabled. When DR situation occurs, you will need to split R1-R2 pairs so that R2 becomes read-write enabled, you present R2 devices to your ESX hosts, then rescan for datastores and power-on VMs. Is that what you are trying to do ?

148 Posts

June 7th, 2011 11:00

Hi Dynamox,

I will make it clear.for example I have created a datastore with my R2 devices size of 100GB.When I did a data migration,I have provided another set of 100Gb LUN and Vmware resource created another datastore and did a vmotion from the permanent datastore to the temp data store.

But my doubt is can I create SRDF by using the permanent datastore without providing temp datastore LUN ?because I am going to setup DR site and here the total VM datastore is about 57 TB,

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 7th, 2011 11:00

so you currently split R1 - R2 SRDF, mount R2 devices on ESX and perform storage vmotion from R2 datastore to a temporary datastore, did i get that right ?

No Events found!