Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2014 22:00

I'm unable to set consistent_lun option on child ig in VMAX. Can someone help to set the option.

I'm getting the following error while setting consistent lun on existing IG.  We have both Parent and Child IG on which we have never enabled consistent_lun option. Now I'm trying to set consistent_lun option.

symaccess -sid 1234 -name xxxxxxxxxxx_ig -type initiator set consistent_lun on

The operation will result in consistent lun violation

and unable to Set Consistent_lun... Please suggest how to overcome this.

January 9th, 2014 22:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Symmetrix Support Forum".

Symmetrix Support Forum

22 Posts

January 9th, 2014 23:00

I was trying to set consistent_lun option for a child IG, however no consistent_lun was set on parent IG as well. This is in production and I've already created mask views and can't delete mask view now.

2.1K Posts

This is because of you tried to set the consistent_lun flag on an Initiator Group which is created and created Masking View with inconsistent LUN ID, So the operation will fail on the LUN addresses that are not already consistent. 

I'd like to suggest you suggest you request downtime and remove devices and re-add them in the correct order (with consitent_lun seeting enabled) to get the desired LUN addresses or delete the Views and recreate specifying the desired LUN addresses

2.1K Posts

Which IG you tried to enable consistent_lun option? Child or Parent? Which error you got?

I believe you should enable it on all Child IGs in parent IG first. If you have this option enabled on few of the Child IGs then setting it on the parent would result in that error. In additional, the setting wont change the lun id of the devices which are already there. It will be on the next device you add to it.

22 Posts

January 10th, 2014 00:00

First of all How important it is to set consistent_lun option?

At the time of creating mask view we have manually assigned LUN IDs for the devices which were added to the Storage Group (shared accross all ESX ) so do we still need to run symmask command to change the lunoffset.

2.1K Posts

The consistent LUN cannot be set on an IG if the IG is in a parent-child relationship. The only best way to fix this would be to delete the view and break the cascaded relationship and then set the consistent LUN on the IGs and again put them in the cascaded relationship and re-create the view.

But it seems you can't accept that.

There is another way to modify the LUN ID is use symmask command to change the lunoffset. It still requires host downtime.

22 Posts

I guess I can't get downtime to delete the mask view as the Parent IG has 15 child IGs and non of them have consistent_lun option. More over all are ESX hosts  and VM's are running and they all are in production.

859 Posts

January 10th, 2014 01:00

i think you have VMAX? it has dynamic offset and dont require lunoffset.

regards,

Saurabh

419 Posts

January 10th, 2014 03:00

Similar topic has been discussed before on the forums, see thread Re: Consistent Lun Violation

53 Posts

January 10th, 2014 08:00

You can check KB 84724 as well which documents this and tells how to resolve it.

Regards,

Roshan Raju.

No Events found!