Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2011 14:00

MIBE and VMAX SE

Folks,

I am trying to understand how the virtual matrix will be utilized in SE.

My understanding is that directors housed within a single engine will communicate using the cross-director link. Virtual matrix is only used for

communication between the directors that are in different engines.

If this assumption is indeed correct, I cannot begin to understand when and why a virtual matrix is required in SE.

Anyone ?

- S

1.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2011 07:00

You are correct there is a path in the engine that could have been used for communication between the two directors.

However that would have involved two different code paths for the software to deal with.  Also there are hardware functions included in the chipset for the fabric that are not present in the interconnects built into the engine.

The RIO fabric is very low latency and is not a bottleneck as compared to the internal communication path.

June 2nd, 2011 14:00

Will have no fabric ? Why then does SE come with a MIBE ?

What is the use of cross-director links ?

Any document link will be appreciated.

1.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 15:00

Sorry, I was talking about a different system.  All VMAX systems, including SE have fabric.

38 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 17:00

Hi Sundar,

The MIBE provides director to director communications. This is referred to in the product guide. Symmetrix VMAX Series Product Guide

available on powerlink. http://powerlink.emc.com

Steve

June 3rd, 2011 07:00

Thanks Steve.

That still doesn't still answer the question about cross-director links.

It seems highly inefficient for me that directors housed within a single engine will need to use the RIO fabric to communicate with each other.

1.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2011 08:00

It is built into the hardware that was used to make VMAX.  It is used for the CX platform which shares the same chassis.

June 3rd, 2011 08:00

That makes sense.

So still why have a cross-director link if it is not going to be used at all ?

No Events found!