Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2012 23:00

Management server for DMX-4

Dear All,

We have a DMX-4 storage and it don't have any management server to login into the server and take the console of DMX-4 storage.

Every time when we creating the disk or doing the configuration changes we have to connect the laptop with the storage directly and doing the changes.

But now we are planing to configuration  one server as a management server, please any one can help us how to do the configuration with tat server and connectivity between  the server and the storage boxes. And also kindly suggest which solution enabler and what other software need to be installed into that server.

Need help urgently....!!!!!

Thanks in Advance.

33 Posts

January 18th, 2012 23:00

Dear All,

Any update...!!!!

93 Posts

January 19th, 2012 02:00

18 Posts

January 19th, 2012 02:00

The overall high level steps would be.

1. Setup a Unix/Wintel host.

2. Zone it to the DMX Directors.

3. Map & Mask a couple of Gatekeeper devices.

4. Install Solutions Enabler on the host, and if your site has licenses for SMC Install it too.

5. Login to the host, and run #symcfg discover (It should display all the DMX Arrays visible to it)

33 Posts

January 19th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Thanks for the rply!!!

I am unable to access the given link. When i am trying to access the link we getting the error as "Access Violation".

93 Posts

January 19th, 2012 04:00

Login to powerlink and navigate to:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Host Connectivity/HBAs > Installation/Configuration

You should get the Guides.

18 Posts

January 19th, 2012 04:00

There is also the option of using a virtual Appliance juss for this instead of using a physical server. Check the link below

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/va/652143

85 Posts

January 19th, 2012 06:00

Here are simple Steps how we can have one Management server:

a) Decide what Os the Management Host would be

b) Then Download the Solution enabler for that OS type from the Powerlink-support-

c) We need to assign the Gatekeepers- I will explain what we need GK

d) To complete the Step c, we should have fiber channel connectivity to the host and the Storage. If you are running  Vmware and if the ESX hosts have Storage connectivity then we should zone the ESX to the DMX and then assign the Gatekeepers

e) Once you assign the GK to the ESX map the disks to the VM as RDM to the VM.

f) Once the host is able to see the GK then we should install the Solution enabler now it is 7.3.1 available

g) Please make sure that you have license for the SE else all the work will be incomplete without license.

From there you can run:symcfg discover and then symcfg list

Please let me know if you need more details

33 Posts

January 19th, 2012 19:00

Dear Govinda,

Thanks for the information,

We don have license for the solution enable. without license we cant install the solution enabler?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 19th, 2012 20:00

you can install it but can't do a whole with it. How did you manage this array before ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 19th, 2012 21:00

i did not realize customers have access to the service processor. Well i am sure your organization purchased licenses for solutions enabler, you may need to contact emc licensing or your local EMC team to get the license files.

33 Posts

January 19th, 2012 21:00

We will take the console directly in DMX-4.

85 Posts

January 20th, 2012 07:00

You can install but it will not talk to the sym.

Thanks,

Govind.N.R

Storage Engineer, Information Technology

WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

8735 Henderson Rd, Ren 1, Tampa, FL 33634 | Tel-Work: 813-206-5731 x5731 | BB: 813-351-9762 |email: rgovind1@wellcare.com

85 Posts

January 20th, 2012 07:00

I agree with the dynmox.

Usually the SE licenses are included when you buy the Sym. Also you can check with EMC if you have brought the License for the SMC and then you can load the SMC on windows or Unix box and then you can access the sym from there.

Thanks,

Govind.N.R

Storage Engineer, Information Technology

WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

8735 Henderson Rd, Ren 1, Tampa, FL 33634 | Tel-Work: 813-206-5731 x5731 | BB: 813-351-9762 |email: rgovind1@wellcare.com

448 Posts

January 20th, 2012 08:00

Licensing came into play on the VMAX not the DMX4 with the DMX4 he should be able to use solutions enabler and SMC.  Unless that has changed recently.  Now certain functions within SE require seperate licenses but he should have some functionality as its a DMX4.

SMC can be setup to runn off the service processor if it is on your network been supported like that for a while.  You dont get to upgrade SMC as it gets upgraded when EMC does code upgrades.  This is ideal for a single symmetrix shop.

No Events found!