Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2012 16:00

Moving a VMAX

We are building a new disaster recovery datacenter and, due to budget issues, I will need to move the current RSDF target VMAX from the exister DR datacenter to the new one.  I wish we had the budget to just buy a new one, but that's not the case.

Have any of you experienced this type of 'forklift' move?  If so, what are the considerations?   We'll be hiring someone to come in and actually do the move (EMC, likely).   I know a power cycle can cause disks to fail - any other issues?  Also, does anyone have any kind of  document for this?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Julianne

93 Posts

August 13th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

There is no documented procedure to relocate VMAX. There would be some cablings that should be checked before and after you relocate. You can involve your Customer Engineer to check cabling but as you have already mentioned that you would be hiring a EMC person for this relocation, so that would be the safest as they would follow the procedure.

Thanks

Amita Wasson

12 Posts

August 13th, 2012 09:00

Hi Julianne,

There is no documentation around moving a VMAX. The VMAX is usually under a maintenance contract so EMC would be involved in the relocation and then verifying all is working 100 % after the move. Anytime the VMAX ( Or any disk subsystem) is moved there is a chance of parts being damaged or going bad. I would involve your EMC account team well in advance to go over the whole relocation and steps needed for verification after the move.

August 15th, 2012 12:00

Contact SAM if your company has one, EMC will be defenelty helping in making the move happen smoothly. I did it once before through EMC, we didn't had any issue. Not sure what might have happened if we moved it with out EMC.

No Events found!