Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2011 10:00

Need help with an open replicator scenario/question

Hoping someone can help with this one.

I have used open replicator to migrate hundreds of servers with no issue. But my next migration is a bit tricky and I am unsure if it will work.

I am migrating windows servers from a DMX3 to Vmax using hot pull, but at the same time I need to move the server connections from the existing Mcdata switches to cisco switches. They are not isl'ed therefore the Fa ports that the host is going to connect to are not the same Fa ports that is pulling the data.

Example: Vmax -FA-5E0 connected to FA-7AA on DMX3 -Open rep connection

Vmax-Fa-12e0 connected to Fa-10AA on DMX3 - Open rep connection

1. Shutdown hosts

2. delete zones from hosts to DMX3

3. create session

4. activate session

Now I want to drop the hba cables to the Mcdata switches and connect the new cables that will connect hosts to the Cisco switches.

5. Add Vmax Fa's 3F0/14F0 that are connected to Cisco switches to prebuilt Port Group/Masking View. So there are four Vmax fa's in the port group/masking view. FA-5E0-12E0-3F0-14F0.

6. Power up hosts.

question: Will the open replicator session continue when I add the additional Fa's to the port group on the Vmax? Fa's 3F0 and 14F0 will not be part of the OR session. Will this work?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 5th, 2011 07:00

that's an interesting one as hot pull requires that all directors on VMAX that are mapped to control device must see the remote device. What if you pre-create zoning and masking for 3f0/14f0 ahead of time so when you do add them to the port group they will have access to the device on DMX3. I would test it out though

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 7th, 2011 02:00

I Agree with Dynamox. Make sure all the ports the control device is on can be reached and used with OR. And if you have some ports on both DMX3 and VMAX, use them to do faster migrations. I've connected symdevs and METAs using 14 ports in the past and the speed was very good It reached 825MBps (the ports could reach 14 x 200 = 2.8GBps, but I didn't have enough spindels to actually get that performance).

Hoewever, since the host is turned off, I think this is called a cold pull Or is it ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 8th, 2011 04:00

it's hot pull because you are going to bring the server up on VMAX while VMAX is still pulling data from DMX in the background.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 9th, 2011 00:00

Ah ok, that's interesting. So whenever you access a block that hasn't been copied yet, OR simply pulls it from the other array at top priority ? Just like accessing a clone that hasn't been completed yet....

15 Posts

February 9th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for all the replies. I found my answer the hard way yesterday during a test migration.

You can't add additional fa's to a Vmax port group while the devices in that masking view are involved in a OR session. You have to wait until the migration is complete and the session is terminated.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 9th, 2011 07:00

RRR wrote:

Ah ok, that's interesting. So whenever you access a block that hasn't been copied yet, OR simply pulls it from the other array at top priority ? Just like accessing a clone that hasn't been completed yet....

exactly

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 9th, 2011 08:00

Ah yes, indeed. Connectivity must be set up before you start.

Did I miss that ?

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 9th, 2011 08:00

I always wondered what the (correct me I'm wrong) "hot pull with data injection" was. Is this it ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 9th, 2011 13:00

you might be thinking about the "-donor_update" option where if you bring up the host on the control devices, while the symm is still pulling data from remote array ..any writes to control devices are written to the remote device as well. In case your OR session fails you can restart your pull without blowing away the data that was already written to the control device.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 9th, 2011 21:00

do you have a port on DMX3 to drop into Cisco Fabric ? That way you could map your current DMX3 device to this extra FA and then let all 4 FAs on VMax to pull the data. May not be as fast but less downtime for sure. Have you considered other host based options like PowerPath Migration Enabler ?

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 10th, 2011 00:00

Yeah, donor_update. Very interesting concept. How does the source array keep track of data that's been copied and what's been changed after that in order to copy it again ?

15 Posts

February 10th, 2011 01:00

If I could ever get a good understanding of how PPME works I would love to try it. I am primarily interested in the ability to migrate a server totally online with no outage required. I am fuzzy about the whole pseudo device thing on windows.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 10th, 2011 05:00

migrating windows with PPME is probably the easier platform to migrate, take a look at this paper

White Paper: EMC PowerPath Migration Enabler Host Copy — A Detailed Review

PPME is free so i would strongly consider it.

184 Posts

February 10th, 2011 05:00

The latest VMAX enginuity 5875 has a new migration tool called Federated Live Migration (FLM). It is a fully online migration tool which uses Open replicator and powerPath (or other supported multipather) to perform online migration... No Downtime. The cutover to the Active new paths takes approximately 2 seconds.

No Events found!