Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2014 00:00

Need help with migration in VMAX(20k).

So heres what happened..

The former storage guy(he resigned now) had created a Meta for one of our most important application and the meta that he created consists of 150 members each of 8 gb size. I am kinda new and was unaware of this until recently when i was asked to perform a lun expansion on that particular meta device.

My Question is :

Is there any way in which i can migrate that thin device(consisting of 150 members) onto another thin device of the same size but with lower meta members.  I was thinking of creating a device with config (18 x 69 gb) sort of lowering the meta member count?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 30th, 2014 04:00

i am afraid you will need to resort to using host-based tools, PowerPath Migration Enabler is a good one for this task.

1.2K Posts

July 30th, 2014 00:00

Hello, I am moving this thread to the Symmetrix Support Forum where your question can be better seen and addressed. The ECN Help Forum space where you originally posted this question is just for asking questions about the usage or functionality of the EMC Community Network (ECN) platform rather than any specific EMC products or solutions. Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Timefinder/Clone requires that target device is the same construct as source device (you could have bigger meta members on target, but count has to be the same).

32 Posts

Ok got it. My main Concern was to lower the member count. So timefinder/clone wont work
Thanks for the help Dynamox

32 Posts

Is there no way to sort it out from backend(Vmax end) ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 30th, 2014 12:00

VLUN migration moves underlying data between pools or tiers, it does not copy data between logical devices.

22 Posts

July 30th, 2014 12:00

vlun migration wont work?

No Events found!