Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 13th, 2011 10:00

New VMAX's UPS won't power up.

EMC was here today powering up the new VMAXs and they were unable to load the BIN files because the UPS that supplies power to the KVM won't power on.  The UPS has a green light on the back but my guess may be that both VMAX arrays had to sit in the DEPOT for 2 months before they were cleared to be installed in the Server Farm.  It is possible the UPS' were drained and that now that they are connected to power they are trying to recharge.  That should not, however, mean that the UPS' cannot be powered on, correct?

Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions as to what I need to check/verify so that I can turn the UPS' on and call EMC to come back to install the BIN files?

119 Posts

April 15th, 2011 10:00

Once the batteries discharge below a certain voltage they wont power up or recharge and will need to be replaced.  So definitely open a support call.

106 Posts

Thanks for the note.  The batteries in the UPS were not connected. EMC came by yesterday and reconnected them and said "Wait and let everything charge up overnight". Still, 24 hours later and the UPS won't power up.  I am going to open an EMC support ticket and see about having the UPS' replaced.   In the mean time since we don't have a final BIN file design there isn't much we can do.

119 Posts

It is possible that the batteries could be affected if the systems were sitting idle without power for an extended time before install.  The EMC Team should send the parts back for failure analysis after replacement.  In the mean time, they can plug the SP and KVM directly to the power strips in order to perform the install, but they must remember to connect to the new UPS after replacement.

No Events found!