Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2011 11:00

Powering down symmetrix

Hello all,

I would like to know  the script used to shut down the symmetrix box ( DMX4) , how do i run it,  and what needs to be done to bring it up?

Do i have to remove any power cable or switch off anything? The whole idea is to shut down the DC ,bring it up on UPS keep it running for a week to replace the faulted batteries .

EMC should be doing this , but i want to keep my self informed of this just in case.

Apprecite help!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 18th, 2011 11:00

customers do not touch Symmetrix platform as you would your Clariion . EMC Lab will dial-in and will bring resources down, after that you can flip power breakers in the cabinet ..you don't touch anything else.

184 Posts

March 18th, 2011 12:00

Dynamox is correct. If the DMX is shut down improperly you could experience data loss.

119 Posts

March 18th, 2011 12:00

The script is in Symmwin so only EMC personnel will be able to access it.  Several documents describe the power down / power up processes and considerations.  The product guide has some info, as well as a white paper on vaulting, try this link:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/H2892-pwr-vlt-emc-symm-dmx3-wp.pdf?mtcs=ZXZlbnRUeXBlPUttQ2xpY2tTZWFyY2hSZXN1bHRzRXZlbnQsZG9jdW1lbnRJZD0wOTAxNDA2NjgwNGZmMmMyLGRhdGFTb3VyY2U9RENUTV9lbl9VU18w

261 Posts

March 18th, 2011 22:00

Thank you dynamox , and others.EMC will be doing this for us..

what are the things i should be looking at as part of the health check,when the box is up,  to see every thing in in right order as it was before?

what commands to run on cLI ?

March 19th, 2011 13:00

Well I suppose that EMC CE will take care of that too....If you wanna check things yourself too then

symcfg list -env_data

symdisk list -failed

symcfg list -dir all

symevent

I think that Power down and power up would be taken care. With EMC, you are in safe hands . What you might wanna check is that when you power up your servers, the symm devs show up again on all servers

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 20th, 2011 09:00

i've had a couple of instances where when the symm came back online, FAs changed speed from 4G to 2G. I don't know if FA speed was changed on the fly and the change did not get applied persistently in the bin file but this is something to check out. It's much more painful to fix once you have hosts logged-in to the FA. Since you are running MDS, it's easy to check, just run "sh int br" and look in the "Oper Speed" column. Make sure your FAs are logged-in with appropriate speed.

Do you have SRDF on this box ?

4 Posts

March 20th, 2011 09:00

Hi,

You need to follow below steps in order to do clean shut down symmetrix box.

1. Stop all host processes

Stop all host application processes that are accessing the DMX system.

Note: If you are powering down the Symmetrix DMX system for an emergency condition, stopping all processes to the system is not necessary.

2. Locate and press the power switch on the System  Bay

On the system bay rear door, locate and press the Zone A and Zone B PDP power switches to the down (O) OFF position.

3. Locate and Press the power switch on the Storage bay

Note: The Symmetrix DMX-3 950 or DMX-4 950 may not have a storage bay.

On the storage bay rear door, locate and press the Zone A and Zone B PDP power switches to the down (O) OFF position.

4. Repeat step 3, for any additional storage bays in the Symmetrix hardware line up.

Gangi Reddy Buchupalle

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 20th, 2011 10:00

you don't do any of these steps until after the lab or CE standing in front of the unit have run the shutdown scripts on the service process.

261 Posts

March 20th, 2011 11:00

Thanks every one for the input:

i am done with the outage and all the infrastructures 're up and running. Funny thing is , i didn't touch the DMX at all.

We had all the servers shut down to start with;then started with shutting down the NAS ;then the centera . Power was brought on UPS  and We had all storage boxes coming up automatically.

Dynamox: I stopped   the celerra using the nas_halt command ( which brought the CS down) ;that is all ,didn't have to  turn the circuit breaker off.

Strange  thing was when the power was back on UPS

I didnot have to reboot the CS, i know , CS boots from its internal disk .But, is this how it works? can you shed some light on the logic behind this ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 20th, 2011 12:00

if you did not flip circuit breakers off  then as soon as there was power to PDUs in the rack, everything comes up automatically. If my Celerra is connected to Clariion, i typically like to unplug DAEs from PDUs so when it's time to come up, i turn DAEs first and then DPE and after that datamovers/CS. This way everything comes up the way i want in the order i want .  Did you check to make sure all FAs display correct speed ?

261 Posts

March 20th, 2011 12:00

You 're right . Even, I would 've prefered  the way you described but,  the onsite  guys wanted the other way ( not the best , i must say).

I 'll be taking a look on the FA's speed  and 'll let you know this..Too zapped now, been on call for more that 5 hours.

Just an Edit: My MDS 9509s management port is faulty ,so i cannot remotely check that also, no SRDF .

But , this is something i should  check , the first thing , when i have my switch in managed state.

108 Posts

March 20th, 2011 23:00

Fair enough

108 Posts

Hi Dynamox,

Wow, popular thread!!

Just F.Y.I about FA and RAF port speed:

Symmetrix FA and RAF ports are typically set for speed "auto-negotiation" (at power-on or whenever disconnected / reconnected to the switch). As such the FA and RAF start at the highest speed they are capable of, and then negotiate down. This Edit Director flag (callled Enable Auto Negotiation or EAN) overrides any specific speed setting in the bin file. A popular misconception that the Edit Directors "Link Speed" setting works with the EAN flag in some way and that is not the case. So, if you have a 4GB FA with the Link Speed in the bin set to (say) 2GB but EAN is enabled the operational fibre link speed will be 4GB (assuming the switch is operating at 4GB and negotiated successfully at 4GB). Of course, at initial Symmetrix or switch power-on if the FA and attached switch port don't succeed at negotiating at the highest possible speed they will happily negotiate at a lower speed (assuming the switch is also set to auto-negotiate). Therefore if you want to force the fibre link speed to be 2GB, or 4GB, or 8GB, etc, then ask your local EMC CE or IDE to change the Symmetrix bin file to disable the EAN flag AND to specify the required "hard" fibre Link Speed.

Regards,

Michael.

38 Posts

Hi Michael,

To follow on to your update.

A more customer friendly method of setting the link would be to set the SAN switch port for the Symmetrix to the desired speed.

This would allow immediate action on the part of a customer and would mean more flexability for any changes in the SAN environment.

Note this will still cause FC traffic disruption when changed.

Steve

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 21st, 2011 03:00

Steve,

interestingly enough a couple of weeks ago i was hooking up DMX-4 FA to MDS 9513. While the port on the MDS was set to auto, the FA would login as 2G, the minute i would set MDS port to 4G , FA link would go down. Support told me that FA speed was not hard-strapped in the bin so as soon as i enabled EAN, FA logged-in at 4G.  Why would EAN not be anabled by default ?

Thanks

No Events found!