Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2015 03:00

Query for open replicator - Hot pull or pull

Hello Guys,,

I have a doubt that using Open replicator PULL or HOT PULL mode...

Does the remote device must need be offline to hosts ???

if yes,, please suggest ,, as I have to migrate data from VNX ( having production luns )  to VMAX 3 .

Which method I can use for SAN based migration where VNX production luns can be available online to production servers during the migration time..

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 17th, 2015 03:00

you can use SANCopy to push from VNX to VMAX3. Host can remain online during initial copy but will need to be shutdown to perform final copy. For hot pull you will need to shutdown the host on VNX, initiate pull operation on VMAX and start the host there.

859 Posts

April 19th, 2015 22:00

You can hot pull on VMAX (hot pull licenses should be free). In both cases, you will have to bring down your application for cut over..

So choose whatever fits you

regards,
Saurabh

36 Posts

April 21st, 2015 05:00

HI dynamox /Saurabh

One question, in our configuration the boot lun of the production server is also from the VNX.

So, if we go for the Open replicator with below high level plan.

1) Zone the VMAX dir. ports and VNX SP ports.

2) Discover the VNX source luns in VMAX.

3) Create the session files for VMAX - VNX luns as per syntax.

Shutdown the Production server. and unmap the VNX source luns.

4) Start the HOT PULL operation with donor update option.

5) Map the VMAX control luns to Production server.

6) Make the Production server up.

And using  " copy on first access " algorithm.
The server will boot seamlessly without any issue and copy all the urgently required blocks first those are required first for making the server up and then will continue for data copyfor remaining luns.

Is my understanding correct for boot lun and overall HIGH level plan.

please confirm !!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 21st, 2015 06:00

that's correct, VMAX will go get the needed blocks ...might be slightly higher response time but it should be negligible.

2.2K Posts

April 21st, 2015 07:00

If you are migrating boot luns as well as data luns my preference is to use two sessions, one for the boot lun and one for the data luns. When the host is offline start both sessions and when the boot lun session is complete start the host. I am not a fan of booting a host when it's boot lun is in the process of being migrated. In theory the latency shouldn't be that bad for host access to the boot lun during an open replicator migration but I have seen it cause issues enough times that avoid it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 28th, 2015 23:00

Hi Dynamox,

Is the SAN copy supported from CX4 to VMAX3 ? (Cold Push)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 29th, 2015 02:00

i looked in elab navigator and could not find where SANCopy between CX4 and VMAX3 is supported (at least officially). I do see that Open Replicator hot/cold pull is supported so that's an option as well.

I would talk to your local account team, maybe you can get an RPQ and use SANCopy to VMAX3 migration ..or just use OR.

No Events found!