Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2008 11:00

Question Regarding symm optimizer

Can any one tell me on what basis we decide the number of DRVs that we need to configure in a symmetrix. We have a DMX3 and have 146gb drives in it and the lun sizes are 8.4gb and 33.432 luns. Also we have raid5 protection for those devices and for few devices we have 2 way mirrored devices....Also do we need to consider any constraints while configuring DRVs. Do we need to have any particular disk sizes to configure DRVs for the DMX...Let me know if we need to take into account any other things..

Thanks in advance...

2.8K Posts

November 13th, 2008 07:00

Can we make 8 swaps at a time...what is the maximum
number of swaps we can make?

Once Optimizer is running, you can tune "max_simult_swaps" parameter (default=4, min=2, max=8).

Also, If I have a 5x33.4gb meta and If I want to
optimize the whole meta...Then what size of DRVs I
should create?

Forget about metavolumes. Considere metamembers. A 167Gb metavolume (5x33.4) is just like 5 different 33.4gb devices from Optimizer point of view. Optimizer will work on devices with performances issues, not "whole metavolumes". If all members of a metavolume have perf problems, optimizer will optimize them all.

Also, for what type of other devices
we can create DRVs and for what type of devices is
symopt is not suppoted?

It depends at least on code version ..
Please download "Solutions Enabler Symmetrix Array Controls CLI " (P/N 300-002-940 REV A05) and have a look at page 198 ("Legality of swaps") to find better details on supported swaps. You can also have an overall explanation of the whole process and hopefully learn how Optimizer works behind the curtain.

2.8K Posts

November 11th, 2008 11:00

The "right" number of DRV devices depends upon a few factors ...

1) size of devices you want to optimize (in your case, 8.4 and 33.4 Gb)
2) number of swaps you want to perform at the same time (let's suppose 4 swaps)

In your environment I'd create 4x 8.4 DRV and 4x 33.4 DRV devices.
Optimizer won't care about protection (the same 8.4 DRV device will be good for both a 8.4 RAID5 and an 8.4 mirror device).

It's better to create DRV devices on fast devices. This will give the smallest possible migration time. Since it looks like your drives are all the same, you can forget about that :-)

Are you using metavolumes ??

25 Posts

November 11th, 2008 17:00

If we need to make 4 swaps...do we need to have 8 DRVs?...as I was thinking we need 2 DRVs for each swap...also, on what type of devices do we create DRVs (are DRVs created on Raid 5 devs etc)? also what should be the drive sizes from which we will be creating DRVs..

Also If I have 300gb drives along with 146gb then I need to create DRVs only on 146gb drives and can I create DRVs on both drives...

Yes I am also using meta volumes...do I need to consider any other things???

Thanks for the reply....

2.8K Posts

November 11th, 2008 22:00

DRV devices must match size of devices you want to swap. But they won't care about protection. If you have 8.4 RAID5 devices and 8.4 mirrored devices, you need only 8.4 DRV devices. Oh BTW DRV devices are unprotected, but don't be scared since the code will "add" a DRV to your existing device while moving slices in the backend thus your data is always protected :-)

If you have metadevices, considere you are going to optimize single members, not the whole meta. Thus if your 33.4 lun is made out of 4 smaller (8.4gb) devices, you don't need 33.4 gb DRV devices.

You need 2 DRV for every swap .. that's why I suggested you to create 4x 8.4gb and 4x 33.4gb DRV devices (thus creating 8 DRV devices and allowing up to 4 swaps at the same time).

If you have different drives in the backend. considere placing DRV devices on fast drives .. However you don't need different DRV in different disk groups.

25 Posts

November 13th, 2008 06:00

Can we make 8 swaps at a time...what is the maximum number of swaps we can make?

Also, If I have a 5x33.4gb meta and If I want to optimize the whole meta...Then what size of DRVs I should create? Also, for what type of other devices we can create DRVs and for what type of devices is symopt is not suppoted?

25 Posts

November 14th, 2008 06:00

Thank u....:)

2.8K Posts

November 14th, 2008 07:00

UR welcome :-)
No Events found!