Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2014 00:00

Reg : Restoring from the SNAP or the Clone

Hi All,

I am looking for some information on the restore section of the SNAP and Clone.

When we create a SNAP session the Target is not accessible to the Target Host and is RW only after the activation.

I have activated the SNAP session and the tracks are protected on the Source Device at 9:00 AM, bitmaps are created on the Source and the Target.The Data that can be accessed or seen by the Target Host is as of 9:00 AM data of the Source LUN. The Writes that come to the SNAP Target or the Source LUN will trigger a write to the SAVE Pool.

What happens to the data that comes newly to the Source or the target which is a brand new write not an update to any existing track ? Are they marked protected by default and are copied to SAVE pool?

If the write is an update to the existing track then the track is copied to the SAVE pool and the protection bit is cleared for the track on the source.

After create and activating a SNAP i have a lot of new writes and updates to the existing tracks.So the updated tracks are copied to the SAV pool.what about the new writes ?

What if i have to restore from the SNAP.Does this have pointers to the new Data that came after the activation of the SNAP session.

I know that SNAP are CLONEs are the for testing and other house keepings activities and are not BCP concepts.Is it recommended to restore from SNAP and CLONE to the Original LUN?

419 Posts

August 7th, 2014 04:00

The Writes that come to the SNAP Target or the Source LUN will trigger a write to the SAVE Pool.

What happens to the data that comes newly to the Source or the target which is a brand new write not an update to any existing track ? Are they marked protected by default and are copied to SAVE pool?

>>if a track that wasn't written to prior to the activate gets written the original contents of that track are written to the save area.  All tracks on the source are marked protected at the time of activate.

After create and activating a SNAP I have a lot of new writes and updates to the existing tracks.So the updated tracks are copied to the SAV pool.what about the new writes ?

>>New Writes are written to the original device tracks.  It is the original track that is copied to the save pool.

What if i have to restore from the SNAP.Does this have pointers to the new Data that came after the activation of the SNAP session.

>>No, you are restoring, in doing so you are making a decision to copy over the original data on the source device.

I know that SNAP are CLONEs are the for testing and other house keepings activities and are not BCP concepts.Is it recommended to restore from SNAP and CLONE to the Original LUN?

>>I don't understand your question?-SNAP and Clone are absolutely BCP concepts..  You can restore to production from a clone or snap, this functionality exists and is in use,

No Events found!