Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2012 08:00

SPA DB Backup Utility

Hello,

I downloaded the spa backup utility but is seems to be designed for an upgrade. Can I use this utility for my daily backups? I need a way to do the backup automated from the CLI. There is a backup option in the GUI but I can't automate it or change the location of the backup file.

Also, If I can use this util for my daily backups, how do I do a restore?

Thanks.

859 Posts

February 5th, 2012 23:00

Hi Daniel,

The SPA backup utility only works for SPA 2.0.x and we dont recommend recommend scripting SPA DB backup. If your SPA version is 2.1 or higher then the only option is to take back up from the GUI. I have written a knowledge base to do it manually also but thats a cumbersome process and we do it only when we are not able to open the GUI for some reason.

regards,

Saurabh Rohilla

93 Posts

February 5th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Upgrading to SPA V2.1 requires that the SPA database be backed up utilizing the SPADBUpgradeBackupUtility.

SPA DB Upgrade Backup Utility creates a backup of your current SPA database for use with SPA 2.1 ONLY.

If you do not back up your database utilizing the SPADBUpgradeBackupUtility prior to installing SPA V2.1, you will lose your SPA database and historical data.

You cannot use it for your daily backups.

Please check Primus : emc284356  ("Can backing up the Symmetrix Performance Analyzer (SPA) database be automated on version SPA 2.0 and later?")

309 Posts

February 8th, 2012 07:00

Thanks.

Do you think EMC will offer a more sophisticated backup/restore option in later releases?

No Events found!