Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2010 05:00

SYMCLI access to V-MAX service processor-based SMC?

I have a V-MAX SE frame just recently installed, and the decision was made to use SMC on the Service Processor.

Now I've been asked to provide symcli access to the new V-MAX. I know that SE 7.x is required, but is there a way to do this and avoid connecting over FC from a server to the V-MAX?

Thank you for your help.

419 Posts

February 8th, 2010 08:00

Hi,

Customers do not have access to solutiions enabler on Service Processor.  If you want to run SE to configure your VMAX you will need to connect a host.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 8th, 2010 06:00

symcli uses low level scsi commands to talk to the array, i don't see a way around not having FC connectivity.

2.1K Posts

February 8th, 2010 10:00

Is there no way to have the SE deployed on the SP configured to act as a SYMAPI server for another instance of SE?

419 Posts

February 9th, 2010 00:00

Alan,

Unfortunatley Remote symapi from the SP is not supported.

Regards

Paul

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 06:00

Paul, thank you for answer.

Is there chance that this would be possible in the future?

It does not look to be such a major work for the server to run in the service processor, is it?

419 Posts

February 9th, 2010 06:00

Voutsinas,

I can't really speculate on whether or not this will ever be the case, however you could submit and enhancement request through powerlink and see what engineering come back with.

Home > Support > Request Support > Request a Product Enhancement

Paul

2.1K Posts

February 10th, 2010 10:00

Hmmm... they probably want to make sure they can do whatever they need to on the SP without worrying about external processes or scripts. If they need to reboot the SP they don't want to have to wait for some customer script running on another system through the SYMAPI server to complete first.

I guess it does make some sense from that perspective :-(    Doesn't make me happy, but it does make sense.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

February 11th, 2010 06:00

I think you've got the point ... SP is simply a tool in CS hands... You beloved customer can't rely on SP to manage your storage.

And don't forget that frequently you have to install antivirus/patches/updates on any host connected to customer network. And I bet EMC prefer keeping SP out of customer network even for this reason...

2.1K Posts

February 11th, 2010 07:00

Welcome back Stefano! Haven't heard from you in a while.

I was of the same opinion about keeping the SP off our internal network, but just recently I discovered that we are going to have to put it on the network anyway. We are implementing the Secure Gateway Service for "dial home and dial in" capability over the internet and the only way to get rid of the MODEM on the Symms is to put them on the network.

Besides, by putting SE and SMC on the SP they are making the SP available for customer use in configuring the Symm... I think they just want to make sure that it is only used for hands on sessions, and not relied on to support any kind of scheduled scripting. It the only thing I can figure.

Glad to have you back around here again Stefano!

2.1K Posts

February 11th, 2010 08:00

I have been wondering if we can do that, but I've got to get my network guys to talk to my ESX guys to see if we can put the right VMs on the right ESX pods to have access to the right network interfaces (both external and internal) at two remote sites.

We'll see what they can come up with.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 11th, 2010 08:00

Allen ...you can put Sp on private network as long as your ESRS gateway has connectivity to private and public. I am using VM connected to two virtual switches, one is private network 192.168.1.x (this is where I put all my EMC gear (Symm sp, Clariion SPs, Centera) and one interface on virtual switch connected to public network. Has been working great for 2 years.

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of

the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged

information. If the reader of this message is not the intended

recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution

or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly

prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact

the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the

original message (including attachments).

2 Intern

• 

1.3K Posts

February 12th, 2010 23:00

Stefano,

missed you for a long while.. Hope you are doing well.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

February 13th, 2010 00:00

STK I missed you all, too
No Events found!