Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2010 16:00

Set Dynamic SRDF between DMX 3000 and DMX 4 for A lun

Hi

Let me explain my situation:

I have two DMX boxes one of them is a DMX 3000 and the Second one a DMX 4, i need to replicate one Lun from the DMX 3000 to DMX 4, the Lun on the DMX 3000 is a meta head with  16 members and its configuracion is as follows

Device Configuration     : RAID-S (7+1)    (Meta Head,

--> 1009   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100A   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100C   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100B   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100D   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100E   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100F   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1010   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1011   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1012   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1013   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1014   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1015   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1016   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1017   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        1018   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A

And the target lun on the DMX 4 is:

03C5 es a Meta Head with 16 Members

i want to replicate the Lun 1009 to 03C5, dont worry about the conections I have all conections and the Link is ready between boxes.

The problem Here is:

The lun 1009 is a production Lun, do i need to set the RDF1 to the Lun? wont it  afect it? the third thing is if you see the members the sequence is wrong

1009   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100A   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100C   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100B   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A           
        100D   8714        -       -  N/A                -      - N/A

if you see there are luns like 100A  and the next is 100C and so on.

I dont know how the customer created this meta by using no sequential meta members.

Please could you tell me how can i replicate this lun from the box DMX 3000 to DMX 4 by using Solutions Enabler to a Sequential Lun on the DMX 4 Box

Please tell me the steps.

Best regards

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 6th, 2010 17:00

Eric,

you have opened a lot of threads in the past and 99% of them you did not mark as answered, please do so in the future to show your appreciate for the help you get.

1) I assume both DMX3 and DMX4 are dynamic SRDF capable

set source device to be R1 ( this does not impact data)

set device xxxx attribute=dyn_rdf1_only;

2) set device on DMX4 to R2

set device xxxx attribute=dyn_rdf2_only;

3) Create a file that contains source in one column and target in another, order matters !!!,  something like this:

1009    03C5

4) i assume you created RDFG groups when you setup connection between DMX3 and DMX4, if yes then you should now what rdfg group to use, make sure your specify correct rdfg. This step creates SRDF relationship

symrdf createpair -file file_create_in_step_3 -sid DMX3000_SID -rdfg xx -type rdf1  -invalidate  r2     

5) This step initiats the actual copy

symrdf –f YYYYYYY establish -sid DMX3000_SID -rdfg xx

i typically set mode to acp_disk and as the copy gets close to completion i set it to synchronous

symrdf -f YYYYYY set mode acp_disk -sid DMX3000_SID -rdfg xxx

symrdf -f YYYYYY set mode sync -sid DMX3000_SID -rdfg xxx

165 Posts

October 7th, 2010 09:00

Hi

Thanks for the info

But i have 4 more questions

1.-

Step 5

Do i need to run a establish or a establish -full?

2.-

Step  5

can i change on the fly to acp_disk

3.-

Stet 1

this is the output both boxes

Symmetrix Configuration Checksum     : 16611A4
    Switched RDF Configuration State     : Disabled
    Concurrent RDF Configuration State   : Disabled
    Dynamic RDF Configuration State      : Disabled
    Concurrent Dynamic RDF Configuration : Disabled
    RDF Data Mobility Configuration State: Disabled
    Access Control Configuration State   : Disabled
    Device Masking (VCM) Config State    : Mixed
    VCMdb Access Restricted State        : Disabled
    Multi LRU Device Assignment          : BY_NUMBER
    Disk Group Assignments               : In Use
    Hot Swap Policy                      : N/A
    Symmetrix Disk Library               : Disabled
    FBA Geometry Emulation               : Native
    3 Dynamic Mirrors                    : Disabled
    Cache Partitioning                   : N/A

I think that Dynamic RDF is Disable, how can i enable the Dynamic RDF? can i do that  on the fly? wont it affect something?, do i need to do that in both boxes?

4.-did you see the source Lun 1009 its members are no in sequential order

--> 1009           
        100A ---            
        100C ---             
        100B ---             
        100D ---            
        100E              
        100F              

but the target lun 03C5 its members are in sequential order, is there any problem trying to replicate from 1009 to 03C5 having this issue, if there is any issue? how can i replicate the lun?

Best Regards

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 7th, 2010 10:00

1) establish is sufficient, it will perform full copy on its own since it's a new SRDF relationship.

2) yes, you can change on the fly

3) you said that you configured SRDF relationship between DMX3000 and DMX4 ? I am surprised you were able to do it with Dyn SRDF disabled, can you post output from this command (scramble serial numbers)

symcfg list -sid DMX3000 -RA ALL -switched

4) it does not matter, they don't have to be sequential. As long as the source and target have the same number of meta members, you are fine.

448 Posts

October 7th, 2010 11:00

When you pair a meta volume for srdf via symcli or smc all you need to define is the metahead.  The code will handle pairing the meta members appropriately.

165 Posts

October 7th, 2010 15:00

symcfg list -sid 548 -RA ALL -switched

Symmetrix ID: 000xxxxxxxxx

S Y M M E T R I X    R D F    D I R E C T O R S

Local                Group                       Remote              
    --------------------   ------------------  ---------------------------------
    Ident  Symb RA Grp     Type    Name        SymmID       Ident  Symb  RA Grp 
    ------ ---- --------   ------- ----------  ------------ ------ ---- --------

RF-8D  08D    1 (00)   Static  MIGRDF00    000xxxxxxxxx RF-8D  08D    1 (00)

RF-9D  09D    1 (00)   Static  MIGRDF00    000xxxxxxxxx RF-9D  09D    1 (00)

Message was edited by: SymmetrixForumsModerator Removed Symmetrix ID.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

this is static SRDF, you need to ask EMC to enable Dynamic SRDF, Switched  ..so that you can take advantage of dynamic SRDF. These parameters are set in the bin file, so get your local CE involved.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

SDDF Configuration State             : Enabled
    Configuration Change State           : Enabled
    WORM Configuration Level             : N/A
    WORM Characteristics                 : N/A

Symmetrix Configuration Checksum     : 7DAFC9BA
    Switched RDF Configuration State     : Enabled
    Concurrent RDF Configuration State   : Enabled
    Dynamic RDF Configuration State      : Enabled
    Concurrent Dynamic RDF Configuration : Enabled
    RDF Data Mobility Configuration State: Disabled
    Access Control Configuration State   : Enabled
    Device Masking (VCM) Config State    : Enabled
    VCMdb Access Restricted State        : N/A
    Multi LRU Device Assignment          : BY_NUMBER
    Disk Group Assignments               : In Use
    Hot Swap Policy                      : Permanent
    Symmetrix Disk Library               : Disabled
    FBA Geometry Emulation               : Native
    3 Dynamic Mirrors                    : Enabled
    Cache Partitioning                   : Disabled
    IPSec Status                         : Pass Thru
    Allow spare in mirror 4 position     : Disabled

859 Posts

October 7th, 2010 20:00

Hi,

Dynamic RDF attribute can be enabled online using Solution Enabler, only caveat is that you need to have Switch in between the two Symms.

Enabling dynamic RDF on the Symmetrix array

To enable dynamic RDF in a Symmetrix array, create a command file containing the

following option:

set symmetrix dynamic_rdf = enable;

Then activate the option using the following format:

symconfigure -sid SymmID -file set_sym_dyn_rdf.cmd -noprompt -v commit

Thanks,

Saurabh

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 7th, 2010 22:00

thank you ..got it mixed up in with setting RA ports.

165 Posts

October 8th, 2010 07:00

hi

I forgot to tell you  that

I have a production replication using those links between those boxes DMX 3000 and DMX 4 and I need to replicate only this lun 1009 from DMX 3000 to DMX 4.

The question here is:

If i change the flag Dynamic RDF in both boxes... wont it affect my current replication? i mean if a have a static type can i replicate the lun without use Dymanic RDF? or to do that do i need to set the flag to Dynamic RDF y both boxes?

the most important thing is i dont want to destroy my current configuration due to is a production replication, i want to use my resources to replicate this lun

1009  to   03C5 because is out of the current replication.

Best regards

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 8th, 2010 20:00

if this is for the same application why would you want to mix static and dynamic pairs ?

859 Posts

October 8th, 2010 22:00

HI,

If i get you correctly, you want to keep the Static RDF for this pair (1009  to   03C5) and dynamic RDF for other device pairs? Its possible..

Thanks,

Saurabh

165 Posts

October 9th, 2010 15:00

Hi

No,

I want to keep my static RDF for the production environtment and us Dynamic RDF only for this pair (1009  to   03C5) is it possible?

if it is; if i use the steps you gave me previosly can i configure my two boxes to dynamic RDF without affect my static RDF production Replication?

Best regards

19 Posts

October 10th, 2010 06:00

Hi,

You can create a dynamic RDFG between your DMX3000 and DMX4 using the same (or different) RA ports with the command below:

# symrdf addgrp –label

–remote_dir –remote_rdfg

And then you can create your pair on the rdfg that you created above:

# symrdf createpair –f –rdfg –type rdf1 –establish –rdf_mode acp_disk

Hope this helps.

859 Posts

October 10th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

The steps given to you earlier are perfect..

1) set dyn_rdf flag on devices.

2) create Dynamic RA group.

3) Create Dynamic RDF device pairs

Thanks,

Saurabh

No Events found!