Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2010 13:00

Symmetrix VMAX - Calculate RAW total IO Capacity\Performance of the VMAX

We have recently purchased a new Symm VMAX with 1 engine; not the SE model, but just 1 engine. The cache is max'd out at in the 1st engine @ 128GB, (16) 8G FC ports, 15K RPM FC drives and SATA drives, virtual pools (RAID10 pool, RAID6 pool FC, RAID6 pool SATA). How can\do I calculate what the RAW total IO capacity of this VMAX is? I want to find out how much load I can put on the VMAX before seeing performance issues.

1.3K Posts

August 18th, 2010 14:00

It really depends on the workload and what percentage is on each protection type.  The difference in IOPs between a data warehouse application on RAID6 and a OLTP workload on RAID1 could be order of magnitude different.

I would suggest working with your account team to model the target workload on your configuration.

141 Posts

August 18th, 2010 15:00

The easiest way to keep an eye on VMAX performance is with Symmetrix Performance Analyzer (SPA).

SPA installs ontop of SMC and give you a really nice interface to monitor the array performance and utilisation levels.

It also shows you the disk group utilisation levels and their i/o contribution & response time so you can see how each storage tier is performing.

If you create device groups in SMC for each of your servers/applications, SPA will also track the I/O rates and response times of each application so you can see which applications are driving the workload.

SPA licencing changed just recently so it's worthwhile speaking with your EMC account team who may be able to provide this free of charge (no guarantees) as it is now bundled at no cost with a number of other titles such as ECC Performance Manager.

Regards,

Glen.

No Events found!